Join now - be part of our community!

Does Xperia 1 use Samsung's camera sensor?

SOLVED
Jonyny
Visitor

Does Xperia 1 use Samsung's camera sensor?

I just read an article that 3 out of 4 (3 in back 1 in front, total 4) camera sensors on Xperia 1 are non-Sony's but Samsung's.

Not that using other suplier's sensor is deal breaker for me, but I just would like to know the fact.

So dear support team, could you tell me what kind of camera sensor(s) Xperia 1 has?

And if possile, could you also tell me why Sony starts using non-Sony sensors?

39 REPLIES 39
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@ds2mph wrote:

Samsung semiconductor isocell sensors, Samsung Display 4K AMOLED, Samsung LPDDR4x Ram and UFS 2.1 Rom.. everything is Samsung Rolling_on_the_Floor_laughing

Sony hasn't used Samsung Amoled so far, why would they now?

I believe they use both hynix and Samsung for ram

Same with storage..

But ...

Turn those tables shall we,..

How many phones our there have Sony cameras? You know, the phones that build all their marketing, around that Sony camera.

azzido
Enthusiast

Even if those 2 additional cameras are shamesung it doesn't means it will be very bad. 
As long as they will make proper use of it I am fine with it. We will see once device is released. 

However, I would like they use only their sensors but it is not that important to me. 
It's normal in smartphone world that companies are using components from other manufacturers. 
And not only in smartphone world but in general too. 

ds2mph
Visitor

@Viridis wrote:

@ds2mph wrote:

Samsung semiconductor isocell sensors, Samsung Display 4K AMOLED, Samsung LPDDR4x Ram and UFS 2.1 Rom.. everything is Samsung Rolling_on_the_Floor_laughing

Same with storage..

But ...

How many phones our there have Sony cameras? You know, the phones that build all their marketing, around that Sony camera.

Samsung offered Top-class AMOLED display (4K HDR BT.2020 120Hz) to Sony mobile, instead Sony mobile uses Samsung ISOCELL image sensors on Xperia 1.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@ds2mph wrote:

@Viridis wrote:

@ds2mph wrote:

Same with storage..

But ...

Samsung offered Top-class AMOLED display (4K HDR BT.2020 120Hz) to Sony mobile, instead Sony mobile uses Samsung ISOCELL image sensors on Xperia 1.

So Samsung offered Sony better panels than they use themselves?

That would be a bit odd to say the least

FE7
Visitor

I can assure you that Xperia 1 uses at least 1 ISOCELL sensor. The front facing. Wikipedia says it uses ISOCELL sensor for ultrawide and telephoto too. 
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-Xperia-1-Smartphone-Review-It-takes-more-than-just-a-fancy-displa...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Xperia_1#Display

FE7
Visitor

Yes it has Samsung ISOCELL sensor in it. 
At least the front facing sensor for sure. 
And possibly the ultrawide and telephoto sensor too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Xperia_1#Display

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-Xperia-1-Smartphone-Review-It-takes-more-than-just-a-fancy-displa...

FE7
Visitor

You guys are truely blind fan. Xperia 1's display isn't even better than OP . 
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-xperia-1-screen

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Ooooooh dear the Samsung trolls have reached here.

As far as the rear camera is concerned:

Xperia 1 uses Sam-dung on Tele photo only 

On the X1 ii it is just the Telephoto.

The display panel on both is certainly not from Spam-sung.

Next is a personal opinion only:  Anyone who thinks Wikipedia is a credible reference source and worse uses it, is suspect in my opinion.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Lol at the first line on that display review...

"The Xperia 1 has a 4K HDR OLED display without a notch – the first time we’ve seen this combination on a smartphone."

It's actually the first time they've seen a 4k oled even with a notch, but they don't even know that.

I also suspect they tested the colour accuracy in the standard mode and not the creator mode which is the colour accurate mode which covers both rec709 and DCI-P3 in full and goes beyond into BT2020 range (though not in full) this mode also uses a D65 white point which correlates to a 6504k white level, much, much closer to perfect than the standard mode which evidence suggests they tested...ad8224bef58621baa5ecfc9d8458e2d5.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Things like this annoy me too...:

"The highlight of the Xperia 1 is its 6.5-inch OLED display, which as we mentioned earlier is also 4K. Strictly speaking, this is not the case as it only operates at 3840x1644,"

Actually any cinema wide 4k presentation is 3840x1640, all 4k movie content is that resolution, and is an established 4k standard.

2160p at 21:9 would be 5k standard.

Tech sites really should know this kind of thing.