Join now - be part of our community!

Z3 Compact won't connect to PC via USB

Luks1207
Visitor

Z3 Compact won't connect to PC via USB

My phone simply doesn't connect to my PC. It doesn't even charge. It's like it isn't connected. Already tried to connect to other computers, and it worked. Also tried to connect other devices to my PC, and they worked. Another thing that I noticed is that when I start my computer, the phone recognizes the connection and starts to charge, but as soon as Windows starts, the connection is lost, like if the USB cable was disconnected. Still, when I disconnect and reconnect the cable, the PC Companion acts like if a device was connected to the computer and tries to find the phone, but fails.
I have Windows 7, if it matters.
Thanks for your attention.
43 REPLIES 43
ktollenaar
Visitor

If your MTP drivers are 'broken':

search for "wpdmtp.inf" in c:\windows

right click and choose 'install'

that worked for me!

dr3ezz
Visitor

i'm not finding the all slot in apps to delete the media storage!!!

vianiznice
Visitor

Only way to solve this problem myself was to open up the developer menu.

Troubleshooting the USB-connectivity and changing mode to Mass Storage Device. This used to be an option in Settings but was removed with the introduction of "Nougat" which is just silly.

DrMa
Visitor

Hello guys, 

for me, a variation of this issue happened...the phone acted normally for two years, until recently when:

-any computer doesn't consider the phone as a source of data (the phone doesn't appear as an external drive)

-phone doesn't establish data connection with any computer, on WinXP, 7 or 10 (I've tried all available USB ports).

-phone is running android 6.0.1 and is charging normally on any USB port.

-USB options are missing from main USB connectivity menu.

-Changing configuration in "Developer" gave random results: PTP did not activate, MTP activate randomly with no result, it seems that "charging only" is the default setting.

-when connecting with a computer, no pop-up screen appears anymore.

-installing Xperia Companion, USBDeview or deleting media storage, didn't help.

If you know any other solution for this, please let me know.

Thanks!