Join now - be part of our community!

Z3 Compact won't connect to PC via USB

Luks1207
Visitor

Z3 Compact won't connect to PC via USB

My phone simply doesn't connect to my PC. It doesn't even charge. It's like it isn't connected. Already tried to connect to other computers, and it worked. Also tried to connect other devices to my PC, and they worked. Another thing that I noticed is that when I start my computer, the phone recognizes the connection and starts to charge, but as soon as Windows starts, the connection is lost, like if the USB cable was disconnected. Still, when I disconnect and reconnect the cable, the PC Companion acts like if a device was connected to the computer and tries to find the phone, but fails.
I have Windows 7, if it matters.
Thanks for your attention.
43 REPLIES 43
Pook
Visitor

@Rickard wrote:

Try clearing data for the app called Media Storage under Settings -> Apps -> All and then restart the phone and see if that helps.

This worked perfectly for me.  Thanks Rickard!

Rickard
Master

Glad to hear that it works now and thanks for the feedback Slightly_smiling_Face

Brazzled
Visitor

Currently having the same issue as Luks1207. PC recognizes that something by the name of "D5803" is connected, but fails to install the drivers. I tried installing the driver manually but no luck so far.

Connecting the phone with the USB connectivity set to MSC changes the way my PC recognizes the phone yet it still fails to install the MTP drivers.

So I think the problem lies in the MTP, yes I have windows media player.

Rickard
Master

What happens if you start your PC in safe mode? You can do that by pressing F8 when Windows starts.

mp79
Visitor

[Sollution]

Hi,

tried to update my Sony Xperia Z3 compact to Anriod Lolipop 5.0 yesterday. To be able to do that you need to connect it to a PC (with Sony Companion installed) in MTP mode.

That did not work out for me. I got a MTP driver error and the phone was not recognized. After 2h searching and failing, I finally found a sollution on the Internet. You have to modify the Windows registry, as discribed in the link below! (Do that on your own risk!)

----

1. Open Registry editor (regedit.exe)
2. Navigate to the following key and perform a backup by right
clicking on it and selecting Export and save anywhere:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

3. Now, under Class, find the following keys and look for UpperFilters
on the right pane:
{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
{EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

If you find UpperFilters, just right click on it and select Delete to
delete the key.

4. Now, disconnect your phone if you have it connected and try reconnecting.

R85
Visitor

where is controtset 3? I only have 1 and 2

JayJayF
Visitor

Help me..

I own a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

What I did is that when I backed up my phone via USB It was fine, then I factory reset my phone and then when i try connecting my phone via usb again it says: USB not Recognized. So I tried so many things to resolve it and it didnt work, such as using a different cable, powering my phone off, fully powering off my PC and as well as taking out the power cord for a few minutes and nothing worked. Right now im very angry. Please what should I DOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Rickard
Master

@JayJayF

Sorry to hear that.

I'm afraid "USB not Recognized" sounds like an issue with the connection itself. Have you tried connecting it to another USB-port as well? Does it work if you connect it to another computer?

JayJayF
Visitor

I tried it and it didn't work, I tried everything, I'm going to contact the place I got my phone from and to get a new replacement phone.
Rickard
Master

Yes, i'm afraid it sounds like there's something wrong with your phone when this also happens with another cable and PC so please contact your dealer or your local support team for assistance.