Join now - be part of our community!

Z3 Compact won't connect to PC via USB

Luks1207
Visitor

Z3 Compact won't connect to PC via USB

My phone simply doesn't connect to my PC. It doesn't even charge. It's like it isn't connected. Already tried to connect to other computers, and it worked. Also tried to connect other devices to my PC, and they worked. Another thing that I noticed is that when I start my computer, the phone recognizes the connection and starts to charge, but as soon as Windows starts, the connection is lost, like if the USB cable was disconnected. Still, when I disconnect and reconnect the cable, the PC Companion acts like if a device was connected to the computer and tries to find the phone, but fails.
I have Windows 7, if it matters.
Thanks for your attention.
43 REPLIES 43
Javmia
Visitor

its the same with my brother's phone, i can connect my Z3 but not his Z3 compact. i flashed the phone in service center and Z3 connects to PC suit via USB and charges and not my computer in MTP protocol however phone connets as mass storage i use win XP SP 3

JohnInNI
Visitor

I had this problem initially - I'm running Windows 8.1. Deleted and redownloaded PC Companion from the Sony website and thereafter the problem disappeared. 

Rickard
Master

It sounds like your computer is missing drivers for MTP or that there's something wrong with the MTP-drivers in your PC.

Try downloading the latest version of Windows Media Player and see if that helps: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/download-windows-media-player

benny_m
Visitor

Hello, my new xperia z3 compact won't connect with my new dell laptop. It gets charged, but I can't transfer any data, because my phone connects and disconnects every second.

I tried a friends acer laptop and there everything was fine.

please help.

msonur
Visitor

Hello my xperia z3 compact was connecting via mtp at first but it is not connecting now. I have sony vaio notebook and I am running win 8.1 when i plug my phone i hear a connecting voice from pc but i can not see device
Rickard
Master

Try clearing data for the app called Media Storage under Settings -> Apps -> All and then restart the phone and see if that helps.

msonur
Visitor

I clear Media Storage data but it did not work on my Vaio, but  I connect to some other pc (which is running windows 7) there is no problem.

Rickard
Master

Does the Windows version you have include Windows Media Player? If you have the N or KN version of Windows you need to download and install this package: http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=30685

msonur
Visitor

Finally ı solve problem.. (For similar problems I write my solutions below)

I find a small program USBDeview (program description is below). I run the program, in program menu you can uninstall usb devices. And I uninstall all sony xperia usb devices (in windows you can not do this) then I plug the phone again and windows find phone, install drivers like at the begining. Now phone is connecting to PC via USP mtp protocol.

I hope this is helpfull for others.

Regards;

USBDeview v2.40
Copyright (c) 2006 - 2014 Nir Sofer
Web Site: 

Description
===========

USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently
connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you
previously used.
For each USB device, extended information is displayed: Device
name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices),
the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more...
USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously
used, and disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your
computer.
You can also use USBDeview on a remote computer, as long as you login to
that computer with admin user.