Join now - be part of our community!

Z3 Compact won't connect to PC via USB

Luks1207
Visitor

Z3 Compact won't connect to PC via USB

My phone simply doesn't connect to my PC. It doesn't even charge. It's like it isn't connected. Already tried to connect to other computers, and it worked. Also tried to connect other devices to my PC, and they worked. Another thing that I noticed is that when I start my computer, the phone recognizes the connection and starts to charge, but as soon as Windows starts, the connection is lost, like if the USB cable was disconnected. Still, when I disconnect and reconnect the cable, the PC Companion acts like if a device was connected to the computer and tries to find the phone, but fails.
I have Windows 7, if it matters.
Thanks for your attention.
43 REPLIES 43
Tiger-unPC
Visitor

This was a great help. Easy to do and works!!!! Thanks for the tip

Rickard
Master

Glad to hear that Slightly_smiling_Face

Simon2002
Visitor

I couldn't get my phone to connect to my dell laptop - windoes 8.1 - it just connected then disconnected within a second and would repeat continuously. Plugged it into my wife's windows 10 laptop - no issue. Plug it back in my computer and works fine! Don't know why or how it fixed it but now my phone finally connects.

dileepmaha
Visitor

This solution worked for me! Thanks

"Try clearing data for the app called Media Storage under Settings -> Apps -> All and then restart the phone and see if that helps."

Rickard
Master

Glad to hear that Slightly_smiling_Face

Maxwel
Visitor

Sorry for my english
I m from Russia and the language in my phone is russian respectively
I can t find media storage
I turned my phone to english and also can t find media storage
Rickard
Master

@Maxwel

On the latest firmware, you need to go to Settings -> Apps and then tap the 3 dots on the top right and select "Show system" to see all apps. In this list you should see "Media Storage". Select this app and then "Storage" and "CLEAR DATA".

NikolaT
Visitor

Dear,

I have try this option with clearing data and I still have an issue.

My issue is a bit different, my phone is only charging with chargers that are over 2.0A and with original one and via USB port it is not working (charging with magnetic connector is working fine).

When I connect my phone to laptop nothing is happening on my mobile phone, on laptop I get a sound like when you are connecting any USB device and after few seconds I get notification that my USB device cannot be recognized.

Also when the mobile phone is turned off and I plug it to the USB port, the led become red for 2 seconds and phone start to the point where it shows the big battery on the screen, but only with battery level (without charging the battery).

My conclusion is that the phone recognize connection but for some reason it is not allowing charging of the battery and USB communication.

Also in the settings I don't have option to chose USB connectivity mode, only option to install software from the mobile phone.

rami33
Visitor

@NikolaT exactly! i'm suffering from the same problem and i'm going crazy about it...i don't have stoarge any more on my phone and i have to transfer my photos and videos to the pc...

dm75
Visitor

This worked for me.

Connect your phone via usb.

Click Start, type Device Manager into search box.

In Device Manager look under Portable Devices for your Xperia driver.  Right click and Uninstall.

Now try disconnecting and reconnecting your phone again.