Join now - be part of our community!

Linking Vaio to TV

rareair04
Visitor

Linking Vaio to TV

Hi all,

I am trying to hook up my Vaio FE11H to the TV.

I have used the s-video port from the laptop going to the s-video on tv. I am seeing a black and white picture and no sound.

Can any recommended the best way to sort this problem out? I am a novice when it comes to setting it up so a quick run down would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi welshden and welcome to Club Vaio.

I'm afraid your FS-Series does not have any sort of video out

Unless your TV has a 15 pin VGA connector, you will have to buy a USB to TV device something LIKE THIS

:slight_frown:

tameril
Visitor

I have a vgn-fe21m and experience the same problem. I connect my laptop to my TV using a cable with s video plug on one side and scart on the other. I connected it directly to my TV and the picture was B/W. I used a scart adapter to allow multiple devices to connect (since I also have a satelite dish reciever...picture here is perfect), but the picture was B/W again. I went to the Nvidia settings and started testing the different region settings for picture. Problem persisted. Then I went to a friend and tested on his TV, same problem.
I got a color picture, when I used an S-video to video-in cable. I connected with this cable to my friend's Tv and everything was ok....but with scart there seems to be problems.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi tameril and welcome to Club Vaio.

This is a common problem because s-video was not part of the original SCART standard. Most SCARTs are wired for a RGB TV picture and you need a different SCART to use s-video as you cannot have a single SCART that supports both RGB and s-video. The socket into modern TVs is usually switchable in the TV settings but you need a dedicated s-video SCART lead.

Have a lookk at these SCART Pinouts and you will see that pins 15, 19 and 20 (needed for a colour s-video picture) are used for something else in a normal SCART.

:wink:

tameril
Visitor

Hi tameril and welcome to Club Vaio.

This is a common problem because s-video was not part of the original SCART standard. Most SCARTs are wired for a RGB TV picture and you need a different SCART to use s-video as you cannot have a single SCART that supports both RGB and s-video. The socket into modern TVs is usually switchable in the TV settings but you need a dedicated s-video SCART lead.

Have a lookk at these SCART Pinouts and you will see that pins 15, 19 and 20 (needed for a colour s-video picture) are used for something else in a normal SCART.

:wink:

Oh well will continue to use normal video-in cable untill then :slight_smile:

welshden
Visitor

Thanks guys i really appreciate you getting back to me, my TV has got a 15 pin port as it's a new Sony HD - idiot girl here didn't think to use a monitor cable!!!!

heresjono
Visitor

Hi rareair,

Am I right in thinking the s-video has 7-pins? My friend recently had this problem with his laptop (HP NX9030), We found a 7-pin S-Video to RGB Scart lead (before we had used a 4-pin to scart and got the b/w image), which sorted the picture nicely after the dispay settings had all been sorted. Then sound came from a matching lengthed Stereo 3.5mm to L-R RCA cable inputting his amp, the 2 cables neatly bound every 6 incheds with black pvc tape, .

He got a picture slightly better than i get from my k315m's Composite a/v out to scart (which is still good none the less)

Hope that helps. Oh, the pair of cable cost him sum total £19-00 inc p&p from a guy on eBay.

J

zayyad
Visitor

sorry guys, i dopnt want to hijack this post but it seems like you guys know what you are yalking about. i have a ps3 and a vgn-ar11m which claims to have high definition output. it occured to me that maybe i could play a blue-ray movie using my ps3 and somehow connect it to my pc to get the full hd experience. i dont know how to do this but both machines are hdmi compatible. is this possible or am i just being a cheapskate? plus will i be able to play my ps3 games using the pc moniter as well?

hellytack
Visitor

i have a sony VGN-FS215B which wont connect to my samsung hd Tv. It is connect through VGA the laptop displays as if it is working but no display on the TV. Other makes of notepads work fine though.

HELP !!

MattWilson
Visitor

Try right-clicking desktop -> Nvidia Control Panel

Click display -> Change display configuration -> my display is not shown in the list... (underneath the picture of a laptop).

You will get the window below.

Click the button that says rigrous display detection.

Does this help???

profile.country.en_GB.title
mike9586
Visitor

I connect my new Vaio FZ11S to my SDTV via S-Video and it appeared in black amd white but I changed the settings on my TV to "NTSC" and it fixed the problem and it was displayed in colour.

I do have one problem with the S-Video though if anyone can help, if I go into Vista's Photo Gallery and choose the "Slideshow" option, it just comes up with a loading screen and that is it. It does the same for the Photos screensaver.

However I have Google Picasa 2 and if I run it's slideshow option it works fine.

Everything works okay through my laptop's LCD screen and my old VGA monitor though.