Join now - be part of our community!

Linking Vaio to TV

rareair04
Visitor

Linking Vaio to TV

Hi all,

I am trying to hook up my Vaio FE11H to the TV.

I have used the s-video port from the laptop going to the s-video on tv. I am seeing a black and white picture and no sound.

Can any recommended the best way to sort this problem out? I am a novice when it comes to setting it up so a quick run down would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

s-video won't carry sound so you need to connect the audio output (or headphone) socket on your notebook to the audio inputs on your TV before you will get any sound.

Is the s-video socket on the TV a 'proper one' or are you using a SCART adapter?

rareair04
Visitor

Thanks mate,

I am using a s-video to s-video cable, which goes into a scart adaptor and then into the back of tv.

Am I right in understanding I will need a seperate audio cable and a s-video to make this happen?

What is the issue regarding the black and white picture, is that a faulty lead?

Thanks for your help

robpaxton
Explorer

The problem with using a SCART adapter is that not all TVs will accept the s-video input through this. This is most likely the reason for the b/w picture.

To get audio you need a seperate cable to connect from the laptop to the TV audio inputs. S-video doesn't carry audio.

chris_lewis
Visitor

With regard to the B&W picture, it will be a setting in the TV you need to change.

Go into the TV menu & find the settings for the AV input you are connecting to (ie AV1 / AV2), you will then find an option to swich between Video / S-Video or RGB / S-Video.

HTH

rareair04
Visitor

Great, thanks for the info. Will try that tonight.
Many Thanks

mark.magill
Visitor
chandernp
Visitor

Hi,

Are You still getiing This problem of Black Screen and If you are, Are You using Real Media Player? Becuase Mostly Real Player Gives this Problem, Remove the Real Player and Reinstall. it Worked For me

rareair04
Visitor

Thanks for the information everybody.

I am still having the same problem, the picture is coming out BW at the tv end. I tried to look for the menu option that lets me change the AV inputs but nothing there. The TV I tried it on was a Toshiba LCD flat screen and so relatively new.

I got a pc to tv lead, that has a scart on one end, and on the other end has a s-video and a stereo sound 3.5mm jack. Apart from the lead not being long enough to reach both the headphone socket and s-vhs socket (those with FE11H will know that the headphone socket is at the front and the s-video at the side - how bizarre!), I am still seeing BW output.

Can anyone else suggest anything? Its beginning to bug me now!

Many Thanks

welshden
Visitor

Hi Guys I have all the right gear for linking up to TV as my Hubby can do his no problem on his laptop but am I going thick I cannot find my S-Video out? I have a VGN-FS115E