Join now - be part of our community!

BBC I player not connecting

SOLVED
JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

BBC I player not connecting

I have a Sony 3d Bravia TV 40". Ref - KDL40HX803U. I have purchased an internet connector as it is not a fully Internet TV but a part Internet TV. It comes with things like I player, demand 5 etc. in the last couple of days when trying to load I player. It states cannot connect to the server, please retry. Is it a problem with the TV or the I player. All the other internet options appear to work, Can anyone come up with a suggestion of how to fix this that would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a tablet not sony that the I player works on. However I want to fix it that it works on my TV.

Thanking anyone kindly in advance for any help they can give me.

Kind Regards

James Sidney
112 REPLIES 112
chivvy
Explorer

Oddly enough, while I have the issue on my bravia tv, my sony blueray is connecting to iplayer without issue

ricross50

Hi chivvy, when did you buy the Bluray? The issue is apparently specific to 2010 models so my 32" Bravia with built-in Bluray bought in 2011 has been hit for example. Sony clearly have different implementations of the Java engine in different model ranges so it's just the implementation of iPlayer in the 2010 engine that seems to have been hit here. Similarly with the recent EPG issues we've had causing Sony Freeview HDD/DVD recorders to crash over the past year haven't affected other Sony devices, e.g. my TV's Freeview HD EPG was unaffected.

I'm currently thinking about replacing my aging main TV but whilst I like the Sony stuff after all these issues I'm thinking it definitely won't be a Sony. :slight_frown:

peteratwyre
Explorer

I have also been disappointed by Sony's performance with my 2010 KDL-32EX503, and in looking for a replacement am impressed by the new 2014 H model range from Samsung. The only thing holding me back was that (despite all their advertising saying it is available) iPlayer is NOT yet working / licences for the Samsung 2014 models.

So while just waiting for Samsung to get iPlayer working and for prices to fall (post Work Cup) Sony make the decision easier by letting iPlayer die! 

Own goal Sony - I had nothing but Sony TVs for 35 years prior to this.

JennyEn
Explorer

Still unable (14/06/14) to access iPlayer on Sony Bravia KDL46HX803 via wired connection to BT Homehub 2.

Same error message with yellow warning triangle and message about temporary (!) fault. Please retry later.

What is going on? No info on BBC site except they are aware and are looking into it (rather slowly im my view!)

Exactly the same as JennyEn, including the same TV!

chivvy
Explorer

Yes, my 40EX503 dates from 2010 but the blueray player is 2013.

chhingl
New

According to recent post on hotukdeals site the iplayer connection problem is down to a recent BBC software

upgrade to enable it to broadcast at a faster rate.I have x2 sony 503s and wanted to watch the WC opening ceremony.

edwbenbo
New

I have a KDL-40EX503 also with this problem. 

I get the feeling BBC will not see this as their problem, but live in hope!

profile.country.en_GB.title
Cyrax.NET

Who develops and looks after the iPlayer service on Bravia?  Completly by BBC or do Sony implement the app on Bravia?

Either way both companies need to hurry up.  You'd think with the impact on the many users, they'd throw more resources at the problem.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi Guys,

Thanks to the community’s excellent feedback we have been working hard to identify the root cause of this issue.

We have now identified the cause and are working on a fix, which we aim to release in the following weeks.

Please continue following this thread for further updates on when the fix will be available.

Thanks for your understanding,

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)