Join now - be part of our community!

BBC I player not connecting

SOLVED
JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

BBC I player not connecting

I have a Sony 3d Bravia TV 40". Ref - KDL40HX803U. I have purchased an internet connector as it is not a fully Internet TV but a part Internet TV. It comes with things like I player, demand 5 etc. in the last couple of days when trying to load I player. It states cannot connect to the server, please retry. Is it a problem with the TV or the I player. All the other internet options appear to work, Can anyone come up with a suggestion of how to fix this that would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a tablet not sony that the I player works on. However I want to fix it that it works on my TV.

Thanking anyone kindly in advance for any help they can give me.

Kind Regards

James Sidney
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

I am told the firmware has been released. So please check if you can update the TV and if Iplayer is working or not.

edit: apparently the update would be pushed automatically to your tv even if in Standby but to be 100% sure better do a manual push in my opinion 😉

Thanks,

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)

View solution in original post

112 REPLIES 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Im editting my first post on this thread to provide updates (so it doesnt get lost in the thread).

BBC iPlayer on 2010 TV's/Devices has now been resolved.

BBC iPlayer 2010 TVs 3.jpg

BBC iPlayer 2010 TVs 4.jpg

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

I have a KDL-40NX803 WIFI capable set and have the same problem, all other video sites are OK except iPlayer.

I too can access iPlayer on my iPad and my PC no problem.

How do I "Refresh Internet content", only ever done that when the TV has asked. No idea where to look to get this to refresh.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi theracles

For some reason I cannot get into the iManual at the moment:
http://services.sony.co.uk/support/emanual/iManuals/egb/2a-2/index.html
However it appears that BBC iPlayer is not working for 2010 TVs

Can you please provide more information in regards to what happens when you try to use iPlayer?  And any error messages - as it will help.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Hi Quinnicus, thanks for responding.

I'm not sure how long iPlayer has been unavailable as I don't use it daily, I was first aware of it on Tuesday when I wanted to watch a programme.

Tried again yesterday with the same result, so I  eventually gave up and watched my programmes on my PC instead which is also served by the same wireless network and connected immediately.

On the TV, navigating the "cross menu" from "Digital" to the next left column, "Video" then down the list, to the iPlayer "App" and selecting it, there is a few seconds pause during which time (unusually) the TV channel picture and sound return for a second or two, then the circular "Progress GIF" appears in the top right corner of the screen, and it then goes black, ...you anticipate that iPlayer is loading, but no, there is the briefest glimpse of a message  and despite repeating the action many times, I cannot read the first word or two as it is replaced too quickly, the partial message that I see is :- ".......not found"

It is almost instantly replaced with a triangle with a  yellow background enclosing a black exclamation mark and the message:-  "Temporarily cannot access the server. Please retry".

I thought this odd since there is no timescale associated with this imperative!

There is no more I can add, hope it helps.

EDIT: just tried the link to "Manuals" but keep getting

"Oh no!

We can't find the page you are looking for. Please re-check the URL, use the search box, or return to the home page." :laughing:

EDIT 2: more sillyness from Sony!

searching for "KDL-40NX803 iManual" returns ...."No results for kdl-40nx803 immanuel"

perhaps I should be looking for Emmanuel... Oy Vey!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the additional info - much appreciated.

I have passed this onto Sony Support in the hope that they can liase with the BBC for a resolution.  In my opinion though, this is a BBC fault (they have been updating some software recently).

Any updates will be posted back.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

You are most kind, thanks! :slight_smile:

conhacons
Explorer

KDL-32EX403, build date 05/2010 also has this problem. Firmware is latest PKG4.117EUL.-0108. Have done  Refresh Internet Content, but still the same. All other Internet Services working o.k.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi conhacons

The issue with iPlayer on 2010 Smart TVs has been logged with Sony.  They are investigating.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

The BBC are also aware of the issue:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/connected/freeview/sony_smart_june

"

Sony - Smart televisions and Blu-ray players

*** 5 June 2014 ***

We are aware that some users are experiencing problems accessing iPlayer on Sony Televisions and Blu-ray players.

We are currently investigating this issue and we will update this FAQ when we obtain further information."