Join now - be part of our community!

IR Blaster controlling Sky+HD box

SOLVED
chrgray

IR Blaster controlling Sky+HD box

KD-65X8509C bought within the last week

I have the TV's IR Blaster setup to control a BSkyB Sky+HD box, and most controls work great.  However, the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT navigation buttons work, but always sends 3 occurrences of UP, DOWN, LEFT, or RIGHT instead of just one occurrence.

So, for example, when navigating the Sky+HD box list of recordings, pressing down skips down 3 recordings, making it impossible to select the recordings in-between.

Is there some way to update the IR blaster database to correctly only send 1 occurrence of LEFT, RIGHT, UP, or DOWN when that button is pressed?  Or is there any other solution to this problem, that will make the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT buttons behave correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
big_black_dog
Explorer

Just tried factory reset and it fixes the sky remote issue (may also enable other functionality such as picture in picture & digital record).
The Sony remote works surprisingly well now (!) - latest s/w updates allow Sky to be the default input with the Sky channels in the Sony menu. Still trying this out..

Sent from my iPhone

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
chrgray

Anyone? This is a really annoying bug. I've contacted Sony support as well, and it's been escalated to "a higher technical team to advise the optimum solution for the issue", but so far no solution 😞

ezeest

Same problem with what should be a simple operation, the same stupid thing occurs when you use Sony's TV Sideview app on your phone linked to the TV and try to operate a SKY HD box!

chrgray

Thanks ezeest, good to know I'm not alone. I guess this must affect everyone using Sky with their TV.

Have you tried contacting Sony support at http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/email

The more that contact them, the more likely they are to take this problem seriously.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

The problem i see here is that Sony will say that they only support their devices. Other than contacting Sky as well, i dont have any other advice im afraid.

Cheers

chrgray

Well, if Sony only support their own devices, why do they list "Sky HD" and "Sky SD" as devices you can select to control from the TV?  I do suspect that Sony will simply pass the problem on to UEI, as it's probably their IR database that is at fault.

profile.country.GB.title
stegabilly
Explorer

virgin media issues here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

Im probably being thick here, but is this IR Blaster made by Sony or issued with the TV and not just a non-brand ?

Cheers

chrgray

The IR blaster comes with the TV, plugs into the USB port. I guess that it uses functionality in either Android TV or a Sony app, and uses the IR database that Sony presumably buy from UEI, as it's the UEI database logo displayed on the IR blaster setup screens on the TV.

So, presumably Sony need to fix either their App, Android TV, or the UEI database to fix this fault. My guess is that they are using an old version of the UEI database.

Christopher Gray
Sent from my iPad
chrgray

So, I did some further investigation.  The UEI database on the TV is on version 1.0.015, whereas the latest version on the app store is version 1.2.40.

Anyone know how to update the system app on the TV, or is this something that only Sony can do?