Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z1 frozen with blank screen and wont switch off or on

SOLVED
Seamonkey
Visitor

Xperia Z1 frozen with blank screen and wont switch off or on

Hi

I tapped the snooze button on the alarm app on my new Z1 this morning and the screen is now blank but has some brightness to it, however I am unable to switch off/ on. The rest switch under the SIM cover also has no effect. Any ideas?

71 REPLIES 71
h_arblaster
Visitor

This has happen to me twice now.. Two different phones too. First was on the day I got the phone and exchanged it because I thought it was just broken. Second with the new phone was recently, I just left it off charge to drained the battery, once it died I put it on charge and it works fine now. Slightly_smiling_Face
GoXperia
Visitor

Now i am more worried.. i had this same issues, so i gave the phone to the service center and waiting for a replacement. 

But as you say you are getting the same issues on the 2nd phone, how can i trust this phone sitting in my pocket? i will never know when its getting rebooted.

Lord_Leto
Visitor

Second time this has happened now, the phone being less than a week old. The power and volume up did not rest it this time and niether did the rest button. The power supply had to be plugged in and then it decided to rest. Luckily both times this has been at home, but what if I'm out and I need my phone and it's not switching on! This is pretty poor! One more time and it's getting exchanged for an iPhone our a Samsung.

mhondey
Visitor

Hello there got the same problem with my z1 yesterday while im listening to music, I just change the equalizer then my phone was freeze and shut down. Im scared a lot and dont know what to do so I run out to the store where I bought the unit and they told me to get the unit to give it back to service center. I am really disappointed with Sony for this issue.
sixx
Visitor

I got it really bad. in the 3-4 weeks of having this phone, every week it would hang.

Even simple things like starting camera from lock screen, the phone would not response.

One time it was in the middle of the night while charging and it shows the black screen.

Diagnostic test report shows its system UI everytime.

Jatzeq
Visitor

Same problem here - blank screen or no back-light, and randomly freezes. I have the phone for one week and it hung 3 times.  Also it loses signal randomly in the center of a big city.. where my old samsung had no problems.

Moondance
Visitor

Thanks for that, works a treat.  Any news on fixing the glitch?

caroloneill
Visitor

worked like a charm

Stralik
Visitor

I had same problem with my brand new Z1. I Bought it on mondaz 25.11.2013 and yesterday 24.11.2013 I left phone in my jacket for a 2 hours. When I came back and wanted to check what time is it the phone was turned off. Only reset could turn the phone back to life. Is is a software issue or hardware ? Somebody had fixed this issue or we just need to wait for another software update ??

kellysereda
Visitor

Same issue here, phone is 2 weeks old.  Just turned off the phone but noticed the backlight had stayed on.  I further noted that changing the display brightness had no effect upon turning it back on.  I disabled auto screen brightness and it began to respond to manual brightness settings.  I then switched off the phone, noted the backlight turned off but then found nothing could get it back on.  I found this thread and tried the SD slot button and it seems to have gotten my back on my feet. 

It's good there is a temporary solution, but this seems like a pretty big bug that needs squashing.  I hope to hear news here from a moderator if this is a known issue being addressed in a future update?

Regards,

K.