Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot move App from Phone storage to SD Card

yawkuan
Visitor

Cannot move App from Phone storage to SD Card

My Z5 is hungry with space now after upgrading to Andriod 6.0. This is the great problem that all your Apps now are storing in Internal Storage and you cannot move them to SD Card.

The problem is that I am trying to move my App from Phone storage to SD Card, during the action it tell me that I do not have enough space in SD Card. In fact, I do have more than 20GB free space in my SD Card but it cannot move an app with less than 40MB.

All Z5 users, please try and report back on your experience. Please check the Andriod 6.0 will move all your previous app from SD to internal storage after the upgrade.

21 REPLIES 21
Steve28den
Visitor

But that's not helpful. The Z3 compact did a far more efficient job. The device gave one a choice
How can user be treated so badly
Steve28den
Visitor

I lost my Z3 so I'd thought I'd replace it with a z5 now I'm stuck with an inferior piece of technology
When will this issue be sorted.
I have never had any issues with the Xperia range until now and I've had them from concept.
I know I'll suffer but I don't think I'll another
tboydva
Visitor

Same thing for me. Gave my Z3C to my son. Moving apps is as tedius now as humanly possible... Why not let the Android 6.0 internal memory mount work? Why did Sony remove that... Like all their products (cameras, tablets, phones), Sony's products are so amazingly good - but always have some ill-thought-out flaw!

NeroWayne
Visitor

When I download 2 Gb games from the app store and move the game's obb files to sd card it can't read the data files needed to run the game and I don't have enough space in my internal storage to keep the obb files is there a way to fix it or for my phone to read the obb file from the sd card after I installed the game?

ThisBlows
Visitor

Still not fixed. Xperia z5, all 32 gigabytes of my internal storage is used up and even when I choose "Move files to SD card" for each of my apps you can tell that none of the internal storage is being freed up. It says the app has moved but the internal storage remains unchanged.

This is why I hate it when phone developers don't use default Android. You're bloat breaks important features.
Lyerro
Visitor

Hello,

I have same Problem, is it done for now?

Sli
Visitor

'm using Xperia Z5 Premium and there is no section for transfer apps to SD card 😕
NeoBeum
Enthusiast

Need Root Access to truly move apps to SD. Otherwise users are stuck with how the Android OS manages internal storage. It's done that way for a safety net so daily users don't accidentally move critical apps to SD and then have the card fail or ejected.
Steve28den
Visitor

Many thanks for the reply. Yes you're right I'd have to root the phone.
However, the problem is solved as Android has a move apps to sd card
AceClark77
Visitor

Last Sony I'm buying and cancelled x compact. I'm no noob I've had Sony phones since the k850i and Z5 compact is my current one this Z5 is now a basketball 🏀 as I keep going to chuck it in the bin 🚮 forget the app data to sd problem you have app permission issues with screen overlay 32gb is smaller than you think I use a 128gb sd card yea a 90mbs one so it's quick enough to use as storage for app data but start thinking about stupid ppl and streamline app permissions put a app to sd function back yea OK it's slower but leave a working and bar system essential transfers!!!!!!!!!!! you know What( Done ) rooting as!!!!!!!!! Of tomorrow disappointing Sony DISAPPOINTED 😞