Join now - be part of our community!

Lost 3G

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
terry4906
Visitor

Lost 3G

Hi all, since upgrading my Sony tablet S to Android Version 4.0.3  I have lost my 3G capability, is there any way to get it back or do I take it to Sony and get it downgraded.

Thanks

Terry

Message was edited by: terry4906

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
phaz4331
Visitor

Hi All

Based in the UK and had an update pop up this morning (Tue 26/6), have ran the update and taken my Tablet P out this afternoon. Pleased to report the update has fixed the problem and now have a full 3G service using an o2 sim.

The limited use I have had this afternoon appears to suggest that the 3G reception is much improved and now matches my phone - something it did not do prior to the ICS update. May just be coincidental though, only time will tell.

Annoyed ICS was issued with such a major bug but, now it is fully working, it makes the Tablet P much more user friendly than it was so, on balance, fairly pleased and must admit good direct comms from Sony in reply to my e mails - much better than expected.

Cheers

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
phaz4331
Visitor

Hi - I also have exactly the same problem with the Tablet P - 3G working fine until I uploaded the new software. Tried my sim in my phone and full 3G but nothing in the tablet. I am also looking for any help or advice because the unit is useless to me now. I do not think it will make any difference but what provider are you with?

Cheers Paul

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you both tried talking to Sony Support?

The more people that report the problem, the faster they will find an answer.

:thinking:

terry4906
Visitor

I have checked other forums and apparently we should have read the small print before upgrading our sony tablets, the new Android upgrade will not allow you to use 3G. so basically we are screwed. From the forums I have checked even Sony Don't seem to have a clue. I may try taking it to a Sony centre and try to get them to return it to the previous settings.

TERRY

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi all,

I believe Sony are aware a problem affecting some 3G networks & are working on a fix for the problem..

As soon as the fix is available and as long as you are connected to a wifi network, an update notification should appear requesting that you install the update..

phaz4331
Visitor

Hi All

Thanks for feedback - I did email Sony straight after posting on here (thought an answer on here might be quicker) but they have responsed in a decent time and after waiting for them to escalate it they have confirmed as follows:

"After checking your issue with the 3G connection, please accept our sincere

apologies for this inconvenience, an update will be release soon to solve this

issue. You will receive a pop up message while your Tablet is connected to the

internet as soon as the update has been released and the 3G connection will be

active again."

Not great but at least they have recognised there is an issue - I am just waiting for an answer requesting clarification of "soon" :smileyconfused:!

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks phaz4331 for posting confirmation that Sony are aware..:smileyhappy:

Adamm7
Visitor

I have had a case open for over a week with Sony and I am told that they are waiting for google and there is nothing else that they can do.

Really bad customer service and it looks like there is no immediate fix on its way.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Adamm7 wrote:

I have had a case open for over a week with Sony and I am told that they are waiting for google and there is nothing else that they can do.

Really bad customer service and it looks like there is no immediate fix on its way.

Hi Adamm7,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

As I mentioned above Sony, as you know, are aware of the 3G problem but as it's an Android OS then I guess the fix would need to come from Google, hopefully the fix won't be to far away though..

terry4906
Visitor

Well it's been a while now since I had 3G, i'm going to give it another week and then my Sony Tablet will be on ebay. I've been looking and doing some research on the Apple ipad and other tablets with 3G, so I will be testing one or two to see how they rate then I will decide which one to get. Sorry to see Sony don't seem to be to bothered or keen to help find a fix for the Tablet S.

Thanks for the replies and help people, I really appreciate  your inputs.