Join now - be part of our community!

Sony told me my tablet needs to be repaired under warranty - yet I cannot arrange for this to be done

profile.country.en_IE.title
bardodd3
Visitor

Sony told me my tablet needs to be repaired under warranty - yet I cannot arrange for this to be done

I purchased a tablet whilst on holiday in Canada this year (I live in Ireland).

It no longer boots up, as it just gets stuck on the screen that says Sony, and does not progress past this stage. Despite carrying out all the advice on the Sony website (including soft resets and resetting to factory conditions), it just won't start up.

When I go into the screen for the factory reset (by holding the power and volume key when switching on), the tablet displays the following error:

E: Fail to read boot logo flag

E: Can't open /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

(No such file or directory)
E:failed to mount /cache/recovery/command

E:failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)

E:failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)

A copy of the screenshot is attached.

Completing the reset does nothing to fix the problem

It is an annoying problem, but these things happen and I understand that it has to go back to Sony for repair. I don't mind that. However, I cannot understand Sony's abysmal customer service

On ringing the Irish number provided, and supplying the serial number of the tablet, I was told that the tablet is no longer under warranty (which is not true as it was only purchased earlier this year). An automated message said to ring a premium rate number, and there was no way to get to speak to a human being.

On ringing the premium rate number, I got to talk to a human, who said that we had to contact Sony US and that Sony Europe would not even look at the tablet, without contacting them first. After e-mailing Sony US, they supplied a diagnostic url (http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1023996) which I had already tried in any case. I was assigned a Case ID 2161793

On ringing Sony US (which is toll free in North America, but is not from Europe), they agreed that the tablet needed to be returned to Sony for repair. I was given another reference number (E54764654) and told to ring another number, which does not work.

So despite a premium rate call, and an international call, I still have a broken tablet with no prospect of getting it fixed.  Surely, it cannot be too much to expect to be able to ring Sony in my country and get it fixed.

Can anyone give me the number of a human who has the authority to arrange for this repair to be carried out. Despite being a loyal Sony customer, and having many reliable Sony products in my house, I hope that this can be resolved

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

i have flagged your post to Sony, it is in their inbox.

profile.country.en_IE.title
bardodd3
Visitor

Thank you so much .... it's just that it is so frustrating being caught between the US and Europe

I'm sure it will be sorted now!