Join now - be part of our community!

dcim folder large file size, keeps coming back after deleting.

profile.country.en_GB.title
smellyonion
New

dcim folder large file size, keeps coming back after deleting.

my dcim folder magically becomes just under 500mb, I delete it and itll come back again after I use the camera. I look inside the folder and there is only like 3 images, 2mb each. there is nothing in the folder to suggest its almost 500mb insize. but when I view the properties its massive with nothing in it.

I constantly have to delete the folder when I use the camera.

so now I cant use the camera or I risk looking all that space. infact upon first using the camera after deleting the folder, it lags and become unresponsive, which I can only assume is the fact its creating this folder.

anybody else have this? could someone check the properties of the dcim folder.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
amillionbytes
New

hey onion:)

yeah same here. it's two hidden .thumbs  files in the hidden thubnails folder. I used ES Explorer.

I can only think that there's an app weboth have that's just creating them for a laugh...

smellyonion
New

thanks for that. yes found it believe it or not but that "thumbdata3" file is supposed to be created and it deals with turning the pictures into thumbnails.

sony have really messed up here, why is it 460 mb? something has gone wrong with the encoding. on other forums people are moaning because its 30 or 80mb on their android devices. and we have bloody 460mb for a file which does so little and shou,d only be a fraction of that size.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

My .thumbnails folder comes to 192.28mb with 103 files. It seems to create a thumbnail for anything dropped into the DCIM folder. To be honest, at 1.8mb per thumbnail is not too bad but I suppose the compression could be pushed further.

smellyonion
New

that is tottaly different to mine. if I take one picture after deleting the dcim folder. the tablet lags and creates a file which is 460mb called "thumbdata3 .." the actual thumbnails for the pictures are tiny, something lik5kb, what threy should be. but my problem is with that file.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Do you have any videos and other photos stored on yours? I have a feeling for some reason, that folder is housing all thumbnails for images/video.

Actually a good point to highlight, I might wipe mine clean tonight and see what happens.

profile.country.RU.title
XSmile2008
New

I have the same problem with my phone Sony Ericsson Xperia S. When I record video or take a photo folder .thumbnails becomes just under 500mb.