Problem openining Word 2007 files

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Problem openining Word 2007 files

Hello Gentlemen ,

I need your help again if possible.

Since Boot this morning I am having a problem opening my MS Word 2007 files, I get an error message reading;

'Command cannot be performed because a dialogue box is open. Click OK and then close open dialogue boxes to continue'

I have searched the Internet and the various MS solutions don't seem to work. According to one MS solution it is a Norton/Symantec problem and they suggest changing one of the files within c:\program files\Norton Internet Security\engine\19.5.0.145 but am not allowed because it is a locked file.

Everything was working fine last night, and I introduced no changes yesterday except working on the Word files

Does anyone have a reliable solution to this problem please.

Thanks,

Gyron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gyron1
Explorer

Hello rich912 & celavey,

Apologies for delay in replying to your mails, collecting wife from daughters following short stint baby sitting.

Thank you both for for your help, I am afraid the links you sugested did not help/cure the above problem.

However, the problem has been fixed by the very helpful Norton team who reacted to my prompt that the suggestion by Microsoft that the problem could be with one the files in that software. It would appear that the problem was probably caused by Ccleaner which I had used the previous day to the problem arising. Ccleaner appears to have left one of the files within the Norton software open after 'cleaning' it. They closed the open file and , touch wood, the problem when opening  the word files has gone away.

Thank you for all your help, much appreciated as always.

Kind regards,

Gyron

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

I don’t have a ‘reliable solution’ but a few suggestions.

If Microsoft suggest that it is a Norton Security problem and you are unable to change settings as recommended then try disabling Norton to see whether that makes any difference.

You could try a system restore to a date prior to the problem occurring.

Also it would be wise to run a FULL virus scan using more than one security application.

Under Microsoft Office (Start > All Programs) you will find Microsoft Tools. There is a diagnostic tool - run this.

Did you come across the following when searching for a solution - rename the Officeav.dll file?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891986

Best of luck.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Thanks for your help again.

I have tried your suggestions ie

System restore - no change

Carry out full system scan - done with Norton, (yet to do with say Microsoft security software)

Microsoft Diagnostic Toll - no problem found so no change.

Rename Norton File officeav.dll to officeav.old - cannot do, file protected (tried to change write protect but disallowed)

Disable Norton Software - still trying to find out how to do this at time of writing.

I have sent a problem mail to Norton/Symantec and m waiting for reply.

So, no luck with solving issue as yet but will keep you up to date with anything I hear from Norton/Symantec.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

Have a look at the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
celavey
Visitor

I have a problem with my MS Office 2010, I hope this link could give me an idea. Thanks.

gyron1
Explorer

Hello rich912 & celavey,

Apologies for delay in replying to your mails, collecting wife from daughters following short stint baby sitting.

Thank you both for for your help, I am afraid the links you sugested did not help/cure the above problem.

However, the problem has been fixed by the very helpful Norton team who reacted to my prompt that the suggestion by Microsoft that the problem could be with one the files in that software. It would appear that the problem was probably caused by Ccleaner which I had used the previous day to the problem arising. Ccleaner appears to have left one of the files within the Norton software open after 'cleaning' it. They closed the open file and , touch wood, the problem when opening  the word files has gone away.

Thank you for all your help, much appreciated as always.

Kind regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Thanks for the update Gyron – always useful for us to know the cause and solution should any other member encounter the same problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

My pleasure. Thanks again Rich

Gyron