Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio f12 rubber palm rest warranty?

profile.country.no_NO.title
Rareinside
Visitor

Sony Vaio f12 rubber palm rest warranty?

Bought a Sony Vaio VPCF12Z1E last August. For now it's just half a year old. Everything worked just fine, but after the second month day by day the palm rest edges started to loose the glue, cause of the heat what's coming from under the palm rest. And now it is just awful, going to be worser than you see from the picture.

Are the warranty is going to cover that kind of manufacturer failure?07042011461.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't think we can say from a picture because Sony will treat each case of physical damage on an individual basis.

Accidental damage is understandably not covered but if the damage has been caused by overheating, it should be covered as long as you have not contributed to the damage by using the Vaio on a bed or other soft surface which blocks the cooling vents.  They may ask why you did not contact them when it first happened.

I would have a word with Vaio Support about the best way forward.

Let us know how you get on.

:wink:

profile.country.fi_FI.title
Akith.
Visitor

Hi,

That is a common problem with the Vaio F series. I had the same problem with VAIO F11, and I contacted VAIO support, they asked me to send the laptop over and they fixed it by changin the rubber altogether and also got me a new touchpad. They also cleaned the whole computer an checked that there is no other problems in it, very nice service. I've got this laptop for a year before that problem merged.

I don't think my laptop had any overheating problems. It heats alright, but not to a point where I would call it overheating. VAIO F series' also keep kind of a big noice on the cooling fans, but I've learned to live with it.

profile.country.en_GB.title
BPH888
Visitor

How did you get on with Sony?   I have the exact same problem on my F12.  Seems to be the result of badly designed cooling fan.  Does yours make a lot of noise and get too hot?

profile.country.no_NO.title
Rareinside
Visitor

Oh, lucky to know that im not the only one who is experiencing this problem.

Im living in Norway right now and i contacted with my dealership where i bought it, the only thing what they could do was, to give me the email address where i can send my vaio to get it repaired, but no mentioning of are the warranty is going to cover that palm rest or not.

But everything else working just fine in Vaio. The fan sems to be working properly, sometimes it is noisi, but only when im on multitasking.

As i see Akith got hes Vaio repaired. I need to give another shot with this.

profile.country.GB.title
dmpzsn
New

I had one replaced under warranty in February, not the replacement has started to lift. This is obviously very poor design for a laptop costing over £1000 and the design team need shooting for allowing a hot component to be under a very poorly glued pad. Shall be ringing sony on monday to see what they say. Look forward with interest to what they say.

allucas88
Visitor

I have the same machine and the right hand side hinge have gone less than a year old i tried to report the problem but had a recorded message saying it was out of warranty so called another number the guy refussed to believe me  the machine was just over 10 moths old and when i asked to talk to a manager he told me Quote " i am refusing to transfer you to a manager " 2 times.

I complained to the customer service sent over a copy of the reciept but no appology on the guys attitude and the fact Sony had got their information wrong. not only that they are saying "they will not fix the problem if it is physical damage" even though there is no damage external and its quite clearly internal.

Sony have gone down hill and if they carry on with this stance i will be going to trading standards

I will be bying a fan for my machine

quemans
Visitor

They also cleaned the whole computer an checked that there is no other problems in it, very nice service. I've got this laptop for a year before that problem merged.http://www.depin.info/g.gif

pullthru
Visitor

I had the same problem with my Vaio and sent it back to Sony.

They replaced the whole top section of the laptop.

nikkilim
Visitor

Wow. Pardon me but I can't think of any way that this could be possible. The rubber palm looks very much disfigured. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif