Join now - be part of our community!

HELP!! Vaio FZ21Z

adrlock
Explorer

HELP!! Vaio FZ21Z

Hi, I've had a problem with my FZ21Z. I won't go into detail but the bottom line is I need to do a full system restore. This should have been easy - I created the three DVD recovery disk. But guess what - can't read the second of three discs! What I am after is, preferably, for some kind person :heart_eyes: to send me a copy of recovery disc 2 for the FZ21Z (I'll cover costs etc) or send me a copy of 0000015571.app which is the corrupt file located on the second disc.

Sony 'can't' help but have offered to sell me a copy of the offical discs - but do not have a due date! As soon as I said I hadn't used Sony DVDs for backup they weren't interested :devil: - be warned!!

Help in desparate!!!!

Adrian

PS Can't do a recovery from the recovery partition either - that became corrupt after the full system restore was attempted :slight_frown:

23 REPLIES 23
TariqSyed
Visitor

Hello AdrianLock,
I can send you a copy of recovery DVDs I made on my FZ21Z, if you are still in need.

adrlock
Explorer

:slight_smile: :heart_eyes: :slight_smile: :heart_eyes: :slight_smile: :heart_eyes:

Thanks TariqSyed - I have sent you a Privave Message :slight_smile:

TariqSyed
Visitor

Adrian,
I couldn't copy disc 2 and 3 ... something goes wrong and the copy process stops with a message "Can't read disc ..."
I just tried to copy&paste these disks on the hdd and that I could without any problem for disc 3 but copy process for disc 2 stops with an error message "It is not possible to copy p24: Invalid MS-DOS function". p24 is one of the 8 .sny files on this disk.
I don't think it's just a coincidence that our recovery disks are corrupt ... Sony's back-up disc utility is either shitty or too smart!
I can prepare fresh discs directly from back-up utility and send them to you if you want but that will be at your own risk and cost.

mavericke2007
Visitor

I do have the same problem too. I have called Sony Vaio support group and they told me that they will send th recovery DVDs to me. It has been two weeks but I have yet to receive any of them. They called up asking me whether I have received the DVD but I told them that I have not. After that, I have not heard from them since then. I do appreciate it very much!

adrlock
Explorer

This appears to be a more serious problem than just me not being able to read/write the disks. Disk 2 is the one that fails on restore with an error something like ERROR 305:68 - I bet this is a 'can't read disk' type of error. If this is the case does it mean EVERYONES attempt at restoring will fail? This does not inspire confidence!

I also tried to cut and paste as per TariqSyed's post - failed in exactly the same manner.

On a positive note Sony have promised me a set of ENGLISH recovery disks for Wednesday! I hope a) I get them and b) I can read them!

I will give you all an update Wednesday PM - In the mean time maybe someone else would like to do a copy just to see whether it's the same for everyone.

Hope you trust your recovery disks!

Adrian

PS Maveickle2007 If I recieve the disks and they work you are more than welcome to a copy (if legally allowed to).

mavericke2007
Visitor

PS Maveickle2007 If I recieve the disks and they work you are more than welcome to a copy (if legally allowed to).

Thank you so much! I don't know whether I can put faith in them... I do thank you so much for the help! Please help!!! thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

On a positive note Sony have promised me a set of ENGLISH recovery disks for Wednesday!

:cool: Glad Sony were able to help you.. :slight_smile:

DanyM
Visitor

Slightly OT,

My SZ4 had an accident during a party on a Friday so I ran down to the store and got a SZ6 (I'm not a luxury guy - the laptop is my primary work tool) and did a "Complete PC Restore" because I had to have everything working for Monday. Of course everything was SZ4 drivers and stuff and after a bit of tinkering I got the laptop to work ok but without event services and only with the NVIDA card. However, Sony still has not put up the original drivers (after three weeks now). Isn't it kind of weird to sell a model long before the set of drivers are correctly put together? Is a "Complete PC Restore" an unusual and awkward thing to do from a similar model to another? Sony says to do a complete restore but that defeats the purpose of a complete backup! I was under the distinct impression that being able to back up you "life" and have it restored properly without loosing a business day is something basic and necessary.

Anyway running the SZ6 without any Sony stuff is a GREAT experience compared to running the SZ4 with. It's silent (the SZ4 was not) and it runs better in most cases. This could be because the SZ4 was the first model with cursed Vista on it, though, and the SZ6 has the newer chipset witch might be better tuned to Vista - I'm no expert in that regard.

I'll report back when I get the event services and other stuff to work on this one if anyone's interested. I miss the ability to run it with the Intel graphics - cant get that to work properly... But if it starts behaving as the SZ4 I'm going to get rid of it immediately and contend myself with a one-graphics-card only laptop.

Sony support say that "the drivers will be downloadable from http://.... in the following weeks or months" :slight_smile:

That said I would heartily recommend an SZ, it's the nicest piece of tech I have ever owned.

Regards,

/Dany

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

On a positive note Sony have promised me a set of ENGLISH recovery disks for Wednesday! 

Hi Adrian the disc's are on their way.. :slight_smile:

adrlock
Explorer

They have arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And they worked!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great thanks everyone!

I can now get rid of some bloatware and configure what I know to be an excellent piece of kit the way I like it - Cheers!

Thank SONY!