Join now - be part of our community!

A99 .ARW files unrecognised format for Mac

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

A99 .ARW files unrecognised format for Mac

Can anyone help me. My Macbook is running OSX 10.6.8 which I understand is up to date. I Photo 11 is running on v 9.2.3 which I believe is up to date. My A99 is running V1.02. Sadly my Mac is saying all the ARW files are in an unrecognised format! I am not eligable for Apple Support unless I make payment.

Has anyone come across this and managed to solve the issue? I have no problems downloading jpg files and if the card from the A99 is put into my A77, the same message is still present when I try to download the ARW files to the Mac.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I just wanted to thank Si for his help. I have upgraded my Mac operating system from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 at a cost of £13.99 last night and bingo, everything is fine. A99 ARW files are accepted by I-Photo. 

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Have you tried the image convertor software?

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/NEX-5R/downloads/img_data_converter_mac#about

This should allow you to import the uncompressed image.

Thanks
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Thanks, for the response. Yes I have downloaded and installed. It does not work.

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

What is odd here is that the ARW files from my A77 are accepted on the same laptop. My A77 is running v 1.07 so this seems to indicate a problem lies at the A99.  

Catmambo
Contributor

Thats odd - just tried it on mine, took a RAW photo on my NEX, opened it on my MAC via Image Data Convertor and I could either export direct to CS5 or save it as a .tiff so software appears to work ok.

Finder also give me the image preview of the ARW file so the mac is having no issue recognising it as far as I can see.

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I wonder if it is the latest update for the A99?

Does anyone know who to remove an update from the camera to see if the problem lies with the firmware update?

I'm going to try downloading an ARW from the A99 and then from the A77 into Photoshop Elements 9 which I have installed on my laptop. 

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Photoshop Elements 9 will accept an ARW file from the A77 but not from the A99! I'm just hoping someone from Sony will view this and help.

I'd really like to be able to use the A99 at a live gig I'm going to in 2 weeks time. This is the reason I bought the beast, to be able to get better shots in low light conditions.

Catmambo
Contributor

I am from Sony :thumbsup:

Pretty sure you can't rollback firmware, but I'd try another software package and see if that makes a difference, although odd that its working from the A77 and not the A99. Assuming Image Data converter recognises the files right?

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I haven't installed image data converter from Sony. I just use i-photo and Photoshop Elements 9. Both those software packages recognise the ARW files from the A77 but not from the A99. I can't see why there should be a need to install more software onto my laptop. (Obviously I will if there is a real need to do so.) But surely this need would manifest itself when files from the A77 are downloaded?

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I have just tried to download the ARW files from the A99 and A77 into Aperture. Exactly the same happens, Aperture states that the files from the A99 are unrecognsed, the A77 files are accepted with no problems.

So I have three software programs on my Macbook which state the ARW files from the A99 are in an unrecognised format while those from the A77 are fine.