Join now - be part of our community!

A99 .ARW files unrecognised format for Mac

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

A99 .ARW files unrecognised format for Mac

Can anyone help me. My Macbook is running OSX 10.6.8 which I understand is up to date. I Photo 11 is running on v 9.2.3 which I believe is up to date. My A99 is running V1.02. Sadly my Mac is saying all the ARW files are in an unrecognised format! I am not eligable for Apple Support unless I make payment.

Has anyone come across this and managed to solve the issue? I have no problems downloading jpg files and if the card from the A99 is put into my A77, the same message is still present when I try to download the ARW files to the Mac.

26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I have some good news, Image Data Converter 4.2.02 does recognise the ARW files from the A77 and I can download and adjust them in that if needs be. Does that help you?

Sorry, I never realised you were from Sony. Thank you for your help and suggestions to date.

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Sorry, that should have read that it DOES recognise the ARW files from the A99. (I guess I must try it with the ARW files from the A77)

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Phew, the Image Data Converter  4.2.02.10112 DOES recognise ARW files from both the A77 and the A99!

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

So with my last post being the latest and all the information I have regarding the 'problem', why is it that i-photo, Photoshop Elements 9 and Aperture don't recognise the Sony ARW file formats from my A99 yet do from the A77? At least I can get the files from the A99 into one form of software on my laptop.

Bieomax

Aye i think that's the issue with using third party software, they are a little slower to get updated to the newer versions, at least if your using the latest Sony image software it'll work off the batt.

have you checked out the support forums for the software you are using? as it maybe also worth raising it on there that the software isn't currently compatiable with the latest A99 ARW files, There may also be information on there when the next patch is due to upgrade your software.

Kind Regards

Mark.

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Thanks.

Any top tips for a good support forum?

It must be me, but if I was in charge, I'd make sure any update was compatible with the Mac products before releasing it for a £2000 camera body, (or at least liaiase with the third parties and put a note on the information before the user chooses to down load and install any camera update). I understand most designers prefer the Mac to a pc and the majority of users of the A99 will be pro's or very good enthusiasts. However, as no one else has made comment on here about experiencing the same issue I may be wrong about there being a problem. I guess most pro's will be using CS, so it would be interesting to see if anyone is experiencing a problem with A99 ARW files being used on CS.

Hi,

The reason Photoshop Elements 9 does not recongise your A99 RAW files it that it does not support them, follow the like to the latest CAMERA RAW file update.  You will see that the last camera supported is the A77.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5264

If you upgrade to the latest Elements or Apeture 3.4.5 with Digital Cmaera RAW 4.0.9 on 10.8.5 it will work too.

Si

Life, The Universe and Everything
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Hi Si, thanks for the contribution, but having downloaded both those updates, it advises me they are not compatible because my version is OSX 10.6.8. and it is up to date!

I went from 10.6.8 to 10.8.5 without issue on my iMac 27".  Check with Apple that your hardware can support the lastest OSX and if so I'd upgrade and get your Elements and Aperture inline too.  It only cost me £13 to upgrade the OSX so it is not a costly upgrade.  Given you have invested in the A99 I think a small investment in software to taken advantage of it is a small price to pay.

Si

Life, The Universe and Everything
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I agree with your comment Si.

I'll be near an Apple Store in a week's time, so I think I'll pop in and get it sorted. (I'd like to get the 27" when money allows). I found it puzzling that the software packages on my laptop allow the A77 ARW files to be viewed but not the A99. Both of the bodies are running the latest firmware versions from Sony.