Join now - be part of our community!

Sony use your BEST SENSORS on your own phones

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Sony use your BEST SENSORS on your own phones

SONY Xperia 1 MK II info has been leaked

THE P40 PRO has Sony's best sensor that bins 16 pixels into 1 a 64mp camera and what do Sony phones get? STANDARD 12MP with OUTDATED and lower grade XMOR sensors? It seems SONY doesnt REALLY WANT TO sell its own phones.

Specs have been leaked:

Sony will unveil its next flagship tomorrow and the phone's technical spec sheet has surfaced, revealing a device that competes against the Samsung Galaxy S20+ without necessarily losing. Major talking points include the return of a 3.5mm headphone jack, the same main camera sensor as the Galaxy S20 and S20+, 3x optical zoom, and a 4000 mAh battery.

After months of rumors, Sony will finally unveil its new flagship at an event tomorrow. The device will succeed last year's Xperia 1. While one would expect it to be called the Xperia 2, Sony has opted to egregiously name it "Xperia 1 II". Name aside, however, the flagship does look excellent.

Here's a rundown of the phone's spect sheet, going by popular leakster Max Weinbach's Twitter post.

• 6.5-inch 21:9 4K OLED display
  • Motion Blur Reduction (90 Hz equivalent)
  • 8 GB of RAM, 256 GB of storage
  • Snapdragon 865
  • 5G, sub 6, no mmWave
  • 24mm 1/1.7" 12 MP Dual-PD AF OIS
  • 16mm 12 MP 1/2.6" Dual-PD AF
  • 70mm 12 MP 1/3.4" PDAF OIS
  • 8 MP selfie camera
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • IP65/68
  • 4000 mAH battery

Here are some major takeaways from that technical spec sheet.

• The 21:9 4K OLED display format that debuted on the Xperia 1 makes a re-appearance
  • Sony finally reintroduces the 3.5mm headphone jack after ditching it on the Xperia XZ2 phones two years ago
  • The panel itself doesn't appear to be a 90Hz one, but Sony is implementing a supposedly equivalent technology
  • The telephoto lens jumps to 3x optical zoom, from the Xperia 1's 2x zoom
  • This is actual zoom with a 70mm equivalent, unlike Samsung's shenanigans with the Galaxy S20 and S20+
  • According to Max Weinbach, the main 12 MP 1/1.7" sensor is the same one on the Galaxy S20 and S20+
  • There's no support for 4K video recording, since none of the three sensors meet the 33 MP resolution requirement
  • The Xperia 1 II sees a massive jump in battery size, going from 3300 mAh on last year's phone, to a 4000 mAh unitxperia_1_II.png
Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

It is possible as the SD 855 which our phones run, are more than capable of running 4k HDR 60 fps, why Sony never implemented is another thing, but the hardware is there.

profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

I say fix the current bugs and add some of the features that should have been announced for the mk2, such as 4k HDR 60fps.

Again, the Snapdragon 855 should be capable of 4k 60fps, maybe not HDR as I thought first, I say this as on the Qualcomm website for the SD 845 it is capable of running 4k 60fps believe it or not and we have the 855.

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

@GilgameshUK wrote:

Agreed buddy,

Even if its hardware surely we should get some sort of upgrade software wise, haflway between the features of the x1 andf the x1 mkii. like the PHOTO PRO app or at least a Cinema PRO that works with popular gimbals would be a good start?

Yeah, the Photo Pro app, I'd like that!

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

@Sony_F4N wrote:

I say fix the current bugs and add some of the features that should have been announced for the mk2, such as 4k HDR 60fps.

Again, the Snapdragon 855 should be capable of 4k 60fps, maybe not HDR as I thought first, I say this as on the Qualcomm website for the SD 845 it is capable of running 4k 60fps believe it or not and we have the 855.

Could it be that Cinema Pro's Looks require HDR? It could be why there's no option to turn HDR off in Cinema Pro. Maybe SD855 just isn't quite up to the task? 

profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

Then cinema pro may run at what it currently does 29.99 or so fps with HDR, but it is capable of running 4k 60fps (without HDR maybe, although reports from other websites suggest it is capable of running 4k HDR @ 60 fps)

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

@Sony_F4N wrote:

Then cinema pro may run at what it currently does 29.99 or so fps with HDR, but it is capable of running 4k 60fps (without HDR maybe, although reports from other websites suggest it is capable of running 4k HDR @ 60 fps)

Well, fingers crossed, hopefully we get the option by the time the new Xperia is released.

profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

Apparently the snap dragon 865 can do 4k 120 fps and 8k @ 30 fps.

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

And no recording limit at 960fps according to Qualcomm.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Some interesting views

Oh if the new mk ii has a 50% larger main sensor then it should be brilliant for Astrophotography......... in theory.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
pressefr
Contributor

@Sony_F4N wrote:

Then cinema pro may run at what it currently does 29.99 or so fps with HDR, but it is capable of running 4k 60fps (without HDR maybe, although reports from other websites suggest it is capable of running 4k HDR @ 60 fps)_20200228_071259.JPG

It seems that we do get 4K at 60fps, but we loose 1080p@960fps slow motion.

So, did Sony jusy remarket 120fps "burst mode" aka Timeshift Burst? They just gave it a fps count? I wonder what the UI will look like? Will it load faster? Will it be baked in or a mode app? Sony-Xperia-Timeshift-burst.jpg

_20200228_072330.JPG