Join now - be part of our community!

Screen Mirroring (Miracast) is unusable on Xperia 1

illeatmyhat
Visitor

Screen Mirroring (Miracast) is unusable on Xperia 1

Screen Mirroring on the Sony Xperia 1 is useless. I'm running Android 10.

It shows up as a "second desktop", only displaying a wallpaper and a navigation bar. 

Obviously, it is impossible to interact with this desktop because most TVs are not touch screens, and there is no way to interact with it from the phone.

The only application I know of that actually works in this mode is VLC. Everything else does nothing.

When I read, "Screen Mirroring", I expect a duplicated screen, not a second desktop.

Why should it be any different from plugging a USB-C cable into a TV?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Did you try to work it with the phone screen or mouse

illeatmyhat
Visitor

As I said before there is no way to interact with the screen.

It turns out that I had `Force Experimental Desktop Mode`, which enables this feature on secondary displays.

After I disabled this feature and restarted the phone, the screen began to mirror properly again.

pressefr
Contributor

The Xperia Pro 5G has:

HDMI micro connector (Type D), Smart connectivity, Google Cast, NFC, Output video/image via Display Port support Type-C Cable or USB-C to HDMI Adapter Cable (Display Port 4K 60 fps)

dsc_0103-2.jpg

Question is can it do HDMI out?

Back then the Sony Ericsson Arc, Arc S, and other models

Had an HDMI out

Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-arc-S-Review-Design-12.jpg

Recently after the Android 10 update, you can now Type-C dongle to Eithernet. So can you Type-C dongle to HDMI like the Xperia Pro 5G? Give it a try.

On my Xperia 1, you have two choices. Seems on newer TVs with Chromecast built in, you can 'Cast' to Chromecast. On older Sony, Samsung, LG TVs you can 'Screen Mirror'

_20200228_193806.JPG

I'm just now realizing my new Sony TV doesn't Screen Mirror. However, there is a brightside to this. By Chromecasting this includes sound! I can play a video game and Chromcast what I'm playing in real time. This feature is not limited to YouTube or other video streaming apps.

I can't remember if screen mirror does sound, but I think it doesn't. Endless casting music I remember I can do on my Music Player. Try that.

Even better a game plus music. Text is a bit janky, they really need to changd the bit rate