Join now - be part of our community!

Sony use your BEST SENSORS on your own phones

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Sony use your BEST SENSORS on your own phones

SONY Xperia 1 MK II info has been leaked

THE P40 PRO has Sony's best sensor that bins 16 pixels into 1 a 64mp camera and what do Sony phones get? STANDARD 12MP with OUTDATED and lower grade XMOR sensors? It seems SONY doesnt REALLY WANT TO sell its own phones.

Specs have been leaked:

Sony will unveil its next flagship tomorrow and the phone's technical spec sheet has surfaced, revealing a device that competes against the Samsung Galaxy S20+ without necessarily losing. Major talking points include the return of a 3.5mm headphone jack, the same main camera sensor as the Galaxy S20 and S20+, 3x optical zoom, and a 4000 mAh battery.

After months of rumors, Sony will finally unveil its new flagship at an event tomorrow. The device will succeed last year's Xperia 1. While one would expect it to be called the Xperia 2, Sony has opted to egregiously name it "Xperia 1 II". Name aside, however, the flagship does look excellent.

Here's a rundown of the phone's spect sheet, going by popular leakster Max Weinbach's Twitter post.

• 6.5-inch 21:9 4K OLED display
  • Motion Blur Reduction (90 Hz equivalent)
  • 8 GB of RAM, 256 GB of storage
  • Snapdragon 865
  • 5G, sub 6, no mmWave
  • 24mm 1/1.7" 12 MP Dual-PD AF OIS
  • 16mm 12 MP 1/2.6" Dual-PD AF
  • 70mm 12 MP 1/3.4" PDAF OIS
  • 8 MP selfie camera
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • IP65/68
  • 4000 mAH battery

Here are some major takeaways from that technical spec sheet.

• The 21:9 4K OLED display format that debuted on the Xperia 1 makes a re-appearance
  • Sony finally reintroduces the 3.5mm headphone jack after ditching it on the Xperia XZ2 phones two years ago
  • The panel itself doesn't appear to be a 90Hz one, but Sony is implementing a supposedly equivalent technology
  • The telephoto lens jumps to 3x optical zoom, from the Xperia 1's 2x zoom
  • This is actual zoom with a 70mm equivalent, unlike Samsung's shenanigans with the Galaxy S20 and S20+
  • According to Max Weinbach, the main 12 MP 1/1.7" sensor is the same one on the Galaxy S20 and S20+
  • There's no support for 4K video recording, since none of the three sensors meet the 33 MP resolution requirement
  • The Xperia 1 II sees a massive jump in battery size, going from 3300 mAh on last year's phone, to a 4000 mAh unitxperia_1_II.png
Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

I'll be honest, it's not a major upgrade in terms of what is current on today's market and what is expected , the camera seems in my opinion a little disappointing mainly because at first it was rumoured to be a wide angle camera of 64 MP.

The added storage and ram is welxomed, not so surprising with the SOC, i' am surprised that it will, if true, not be able to support 4k video recording though.

They are welcomed, but what does this mean for mk 1 Xperia 1 users and the 'Sony Xperia' brand they brought into?

Will this mean better support for our devices  now?

For me it isn't all about the hardware, the customer service and how well developed their software is makes a difference as well, I hope, and I really hope, any changes in software for the MKII is also applied to the first gen Xperia 1 as well. These are great phones but get ruined by the software niggles it has. 

I learned one thing while being a programmer.

'' Hardware is only as good as the sortware made for it''.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

We wont know for certain until tomorrow at 07:30am

However if the xperia 1 CAN record at 4k as we all know (just lousy stability as OIS DOES NOT work over 1080p) and yet the MK2 CANNOT record video at 4k then nobody will buy the MK II AT ALL as then it would be a downgrade surely?

Personally i am getting PIG sick of SONY employees LAUGHING at us, outfitting their own phones with sub-par camera sensor ,whilst they reserve their best ones for other manufacturers phones.

Sony mobile customer service is even worse, they have no idea how to fix a phone or resolve your enquiries, as the representitives are LITERALLY reading from a script. In my opinion Sony mobile don't care about the consumer and they are literally laughing us 'mugs'

Incompotent and inept I would say Slightly_smiling_Face

Edit: note that just like the xperia 1 only the wide angle lacks OIS... note: Let us translate SONY's "blurb" On the new phone the OIS will ONLY WORK on 1080P video recording, anything higher it will be more shakey than the legs of a 'Mad Cow', just like the original Xperia 1

profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

so it looks like the the sony xperia 1 mkii can record 4k 60 fps in the cinema pro app, this is very unfair for sony xperia 1 mk1 users by a long shot, our phones can more than enough handle it. lol it looks like instead of fixing our phones, they have try to resell these fixes.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

"There's no support for 4K video recording, since none of the three sensors meet the 33 MP resolution requirement"

Dunno where that spec comes from, 4k is 8mp and common on 12mp phones for years

profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

It actually says on the Sony website where they have the Xperia m2 and Xperia Pro listed and if you look at video recording it has up to 60fps 4k.

This is actually a make or break deal for Xperia MK1 users they have to update the phones more so than ever otherwise this is something that we should start a petition to get Sony to either buy back devices Xperia 1 for what has been paid for or they should include some of the features inline with the upgraded Xperia 1's.

Especially the Snapdragon 855 as it should handle 4k HDR 60fps.

For a phone a barely year old this is highly unfair.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Hey fella

That was on a leak

I didnt think we were allowed to post website links here and as such I just copied and pasted the content.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

I totally agree

A very generous part exchange allowance would be useful

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

@Sony_F4N wrote:

so it looks like the the sony xperia 1 mkii can record 4k 60 fps in the cinema pro app, this is very unfair for sony xperia 1 mk1 users by a long shot, our phones can more than enough handle it. lol it looks like instead of fixing our phones, they have try to resell these fixes.

The lack of 4k 60fps has always been my No.1 gripe since getting my Xperia 1. Knowing that other brands had this feature, I expected the X1 to do the same. Could a firmware update give us 4k 60fps or is it all about hardware?

As much as I love my Xperia 1, I really wanted 4k 60fps, but I got my phone on a 3 year contract, so unless an update is possible, or I win the lottery, I'm stuck with what I have until 2022!

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Agreed buddy,

Even if its hardware surely we should get some sort of upgrade software wise, haflway between the features of the x1 andf the x1 mkii. like the PHOTO PRO app or at least a Cinema PRO that works with popular gimbals would be a good start?