Join now - be part of our community!

Amazon Prime 4K streaming and download

profile.country.GB.title
repoman1966
New

Amazon Prime 4K streaming and download

Dear Sony

Can you confirm that the new Sony Xperia 1 ii will stream and download content in 4K from Amazon Prime/Netflix?

the XZ Premium can do it, the current Xperia 1 can't. Yes , the specs on the new ii are better than the 1, but the whole point of having a 4K 21:9 Oled screen is to watch 4K content.  If you can't stream in 4K on Prime or Netflix give me a reason to buy the phone. That was the reason I bought the 1, and on this you failed miserably.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Not Sony's fault

NETFLIX and AMAZON REFUSE to add it to the 4k approved mobile list.

NETFLIX released an official statement saying that they do not officially support 4k on a mobile device.

Not Sony's fault-perhaps your dissapoinment will be better directed at the two above companies.?

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
repoman1966
New

If that's the case why does the XZ Premium stream in 4K? I stream a 4k tv series like Bosch and I get the ultra HD on the bottom of the screen. Same for a 4K film

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

No it doesn't, and no you are not streaming it in 4k.

If you are using the'modded' Netflix, it only enables the logo, it doesn't stream in 4k for the XZ premium, all you get is HDR.

The only 4k you will get is with YouTube or by downloading 4k content and playing it back

And it's really got nothing to do with Sony, it's Netflix and Amazon who control their apps and it's capability, so it's them to gripe and complain to.

profile.country.GB.title
repoman1966
New

B26FDF67-B5EA-4441-92BB-537E7E47DB46.jpeg

Proof that the XZ Premium is recognised as a 4K device for streaming by Amazon.

profile.country.GB.title
repoman1966
New

D3447FCB-4AAB-46CF-B173-BB13E222ECBA.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
repoman1966
New

Not sure what's happening but the photo I attached doesn't appear to be showing, anyone know why?

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

This is the point i'n making

YES the xz premium is recognised as a 4k device, i have it it works

However netflix and amazon REFUSE to add the XPERIA 1 to recognised devices for 4K HDR, despite many emails from sony.

If you look at THE listing of compatible devices the Xperia 1 is HD and HDR only and 4k isnt listed.

Like i said perhaps you should complain to Netflix and Amazon, as we have ALL nagged them about it but they refuse to budge.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Netflix: doesn't offer 4k streams to ANY mobile device.

Amazon: offer 4k to xz premium, xz2 premium, but haven't updated their list of 4k devices since.

It's these two companies that control their streams, nothing Sony can do.