Join now - be part of our community!

Issue with network dropping

Clennon
Visitor

Issue with network dropping

My network coverage keeps dropping I spoke with EE my network provider. They sent me a new SIM card, this has not fixed the problem and I'm stuck for what to do. This happens at completely random times.

152 REPLIES 152
TechZilla
Visitor

@billson EE uses volte by default on any handset and can't be turned off, so it won't show in the notification bar as it's always on. As for WiFi calling it should show up in the screen shot down below just under the toggles when activated. I hope this helps, I bought my Xperia 1 outright with no contract meaning it's not locked to EE or EE branded.Screenshot_20190611-135243.png

billson
Visitor

Thanks for the info. I bought this from o2 as it was so cheap plus the headphones should be coming as well. Cant expalin data speeds not being as good as my xs max maybe it's just becasue it was supplied by o2? Can see the screenshot now. Mine just says EE there isntead. Is there a way to manually turn it on I cant see anything in settings?

TechZilla
Visitor

@billson go to network and internet then mobile network EE then click on advanced and you will see WiFi calling toggle to switch it on. What build number are you running on? Have you had any firmware update? Also have you downloaded the EE internet settings? You can find it just below mobile network EE called internet settings

billson
Visitor

Theres no wifi calling option here. I downloaded the internet settings, I received an update a few days ago I'm build number 55.0.A.2.278

At least its working to an extent and I'm getting a 4G signal but it is slower than my iphone thats for sure. It must be as this handset was supplied by o2.

billson
Visitor

Just to see I put the o2 sim card in downloaded the internet settings and there was still no wifi calling option? I doubt the device is faulty but I was expecting to see the option avaiailble as it's from o2.

Chippy_boy
Visitor

@billson wrote:

Just to see I put the o2 sim card in downloaded the internet settings and there was still no wifi calling option? I doubt the device is faulty but I was expecting to see the option avaiailble as it's from o2.

That's disappointing but at the end of the day it's up to O2 what firmware they want to send you and what features they want to offer you.

KGT94
Visitor

Thankfully, I've managed to flash the EE stock firmware onto my O2 XP1. Now have all of the bands and WiFi calling!

billson
Visitor

Does this void the warranty and is it easy to do on a mac? I'm not missing anything apart from wifi calling and slightly slower speeds but I would be using it if I had the feature available. 

Chippy_boy
Visitor

@KGT94 wrote:

Thankfully, I've managed to flash the EE stock firmware onto my O2 XP1. Now have all of the bands and WiFi calling!

And no warranty 😞

Still - interesting to note that enabling these features on the phone, also enables them to be used on a different network. I had always believed you needed either network-specific firmware, or a phone specifically listed by your network as being one they support.

I'm wondering if my XP1 - also with 4G calling and WiFi calling enabled - would allow me to use those features on Vodafone? I'll give it a try at some point - I have another contract with Vodafone for my Pixel XL but I don't get them because although the Pixel supports them, and Vodafone support them, Vodafone don't support them on the Pixel 😞

KGT94
Visitor

As far as I know - warranty is fine.

Bootloader is still locked, on-board service menu basically shows it as untainted.

Worst case scenario, Sony have a list of IMEI > Network software. I'll just re-flash o2 if i need to send it in.