Join now - be part of our community!

Have 2 Xperia 1 II's - one upgraded to Android 11 fine, other keeps restarting - Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

Have 2 Xperia 1 II's - one upgraded to Android 11 fine, other keeps restarting - Any ideas?

Evening all.

Have 2 Xperia 1 ii's .... one updated perfectly from 10 to 11. The other keeps restarting and constantly rebooting and will not upgrade to 11. 

Any ideas what could be wrong and what to try?

Also tried update from Xperia Companion ....  same result.

Both phones are 95% same build, same apps, even same physical screen layout.

Message on screen now says "software will be updated on the next restart"   then has the option LATER or RESTART.

If I choose RESTART ...... the phone power cycles down, a vibration tone is felt, then the SONY logo comes up.

Then the 'powered by Android' logo. Then the XPERIA graphic changes colour for maybe 90 seconds.

Then the phone power cycles down and it repeats .... and repeats .... and continues to repeat.

If I hols power and Vol - down, it will eventually start up again properly. But if I check Android version, it still says 10.

Very odd ..... help and/or suggestions gratefully received

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

Have to confess I've been putting off doing the reset and so to get this was good.

Unfortunately I did just try it and alas no go .... but thanks for the suggestion and was very much worth a try.

I reset the cache and the data and re-ran the update. I did not power cycle the phone. Wander if should have done that?

Seems odd that a new, clean and very vanilla phone build (no clever stuff) and near identical to another purchased and set up at the same time should prove so difficult.

I think tonight I need bite the bullet and do the reset and update. Scary.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Then maybe do it tomorrow at daylight?

Less scary.

profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

🙂 ..... unfortunately the wife is a front line worker and does need the phone otherwise would have been good idea. Made me laugh.

Well I followed the procedure you kindly sent and ...... so far so good.

I tried another local install. Then an install from Companion. No go.

Did a backup via Google and then a Google 1 Drive backup .... I think they are basically the same but thought best be as rigorous as possible.

Then did the software repair and it went really well and indeed Android 11 is alive and well on her 1 ii.

And all the settings and data restored a treat. I'm just waiting for the apps to install and then of course some BT pairing of things like Garmin watch, Sony Xm1000 headphones and log into a load of apps etc.

So at this moment looking good. Why it happened I guess we are unlikely to ever know. Given the ETA for Android 12 release is September 2021 and that it is unlikely we will see that for the 1 ii until January 2022. Or indeed will we see that at all?  

So looking good. Many thanks to you and other posters for their support. It built the confidence to have a go.

Cheers