Join now - be part of our community!

Have 2 Xperia 1 II's - one upgraded to Android 11 fine, other keeps restarting - Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

Have 2 Xperia 1 II's - one upgraded to Android 11 fine, other keeps restarting - Any ideas?

Evening all.

Have 2 Xperia 1 ii's .... one updated perfectly from 10 to 11. The other keeps restarting and constantly rebooting and will not upgrade to 11. 

Any ideas what could be wrong and what to try?

Also tried update from Xperia Companion ....  same result.

Both phones are 95% same build, same apps, even same physical screen layout.

Message on screen now says "software will be updated on the next restart"   then has the option LATER or RESTART.

If I choose RESTART ...... the phone power cycles down, a vibration tone is felt, then the SONY logo comes up.

Then the 'powered by Android' logo. Then the XPERIA graphic changes colour for maybe 90 seconds.

Then the phone power cycles down and it repeats .... and repeats .... and continues to repeat.

If I hols power and Vol - down, it will eventually start up again properly. But if I check Android version, it still says 10.

Very odd ..... help and/or suggestions gratefully received

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

You don't mention what happens when you select "Later", If it were me, I would try that option then do a factory reset, then start the phone afresh, and install 11 when set up.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

You can find the procedure to follow over here

Have you tried the lot and ended up with a Software repair in Xperia Companion that refuses, then charge your Xperia to >80% and switch it off.

Open Xperia Companion again, choose Software Repair.

On the next page tick  'My device cannot be detected or started, or is a SmartWatch 3'

Click Next and follow the instructions.

profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

Hi there, is a good point .... have to confess I did not try that option. Will do so later today.

Can I ask, if I do a reset as you mention, does I have to reinstall all the apps?

We moved from an Xperia Z5 to this model only a few weeks back and it has always been backed up fully. It would be perfect if the Google Back up backs up all the apps etc.

profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

Thanks for the link .... will read through and step through that this evening.

Yes I did try the software upgrade from Companion but not the the repair.

Does the repair essentially reset the phone? And if I do this I think all data and apps are lost, is that correct?

We are 100% backed up to a Google 1 Drive but would of course prefer not to install all the apps again.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Your backup should be fine to restore if you backed up all selections recently.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Most apps are restored from the backup.

Some like WhatsApp, signal, telegram have to be reinstalled by yourself.

You have to make a separate backup from your conversations.

All apps which require sign-in have to be signed in on first entry.

Good luck repairing!

profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

yes think for the sake of 20 minutes I'll double check the back up setting.

Certainly when we did the move from Z5 to 1 II I was surprised how much it did port over .... very nearly all of it.

Will report back after gone through the procedure

Thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

That's reassuring stuff and worth to know. Only the Whatsapp is applicable to the wife's phone so even less to concern over.

Not yet started on the refresh but will will report back once have done that and tried the Android 11 update.

Thanks again for the support

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Could also be a corruption on the update file.

If you look in settings, apps, then select show system apps from the menu. You can search for the update service and clear data and cache allowing the download to start again.