Join now - be part of our community!

Sensor Grid (?) showing on RAW photos, Macro not good on Xperia 1 II

profile.country.GB.title
AnnaLeask
New

Sensor Grid (?) showing on RAW photos, Macro not good on Xperia 1 II

I use the Xperia 1 II for 6 months and I have taken photos in RAW using the Pro App and Full Manual Settings, but there's a strange grid that shows up in my brighter photos.  Does anyone know why, or how I can stop this happening? It has ruined most of my Pro shots.

Also I'm finding the Macro shots on the Xperia 1 II a bit rubbish, I'm struggling to get close enough to get a good quality resolution image, can anyone give me some tips on improvement in the quality of the images.Screenshot_20201230-124157.pngScreenshot_20201230-124221.png 

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi there, you can check the user guide of the device for the photo pro app if it needs any adjustments from this link: https://helpguide.sony.net/mobile/xperia-1m2/v1/en/contents/TP0003102567.html

If that didn't work, you can try safe mode on your device and check if it will change anything or not.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Regarding sensor grid.

This usually occurs when either trying to recover shadows or highlights in an image, the shadows/highlights get recovered, but it can affect the mid-range of the picture.

Now some editors work better than others, and I've found using different editors can yield better results with this (I have a phantom 3 that always acts like this with sunsets)

profile.country.GB.title
AnnaLeask
New

Hi LordViridis, thanks so much for your reply. So the grid that's visible in the brighter areas is from the sensor? I wasn't sure.

These screenshots of the photos are completely untouched. I didn't do any edits to the images. If I take photos using the camera app, the JPEGs are fine, it's only when I use the Photo Pro App and 70mm lens the grid appears on the RAW files and also the JPEGS, I can't edit the grid away, I tried using PSX and Snapseed. It's actually put me off using the Photo Pro App because too many photos are ruined with that grid in the highlighted, more exposed areas. 

Is anyone else experiencing this?