Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z5 Many Problems after 7.1.1

Gabinka
Visitor

Xperia Z5 Many Problems after 7.1.1

I got the OTA update to 7.1.1 on 7/15/2017.  I don't usually fear Android system updates.  But I wish I hadn't done this one.

My phone was great before this update. Then about a week after, I started having issues.

First, my phone started rebooting randomly.  I would then get 2 identical errors after the reboot (or even after manual reboots): com.sonyericsson.crashmonitor has stopped.

Then, I noted on some of my calls that my screen would go black. I don't hold the phone to my ear, ever. If I don't have a Bluetooth or wired headset on, I put on the speaker.  Anyway, this was very disconcerting.

Then, while watching YouTube, my phone got so hot I couldn't hold it and YouTube wouldn't play. There were 3 apps active: Sony Music (not playing), Six to Start's The Walk (but I wasn't walking) and YouTube.  

I called Sony Support about this. First tech was really disrespectful and went right to telling me to factory reset my phone.  I called back to someone else who gave me at least a few options before that.  In the end, I did do a Software Repair on my phone.

Before I did the Software Repair, I removed my SDcard then I used Xperia Companion to backup my phone. Then I went into Backup and Reset in the Settings on my phone, and did a manual backup there. So glad I did! I also used my tablet to take pictures of my home screens, the contents of folders on my home screens, my playlists, my app drawer.  I always do that and it's again a good thing I do.

I thought maybe the Software Repair had done the job. Phone didn't reboot, no com.sonyericsson.crashmonitor errors.  It did take a day to get everything back.  Xperia Companion did not restore my Contacts. The manual backup hadn't backed them or the Calendar up.  At first I had no contacts but they came down, from Google, I suspect after 12 hours or so.  The apps weren't restored. I had very few. But when I downloaded all those apps again (working from the pictures on my tablet), I could run the Restore from my manual backup and it would move all the apps into their right folders on my home screens, and restored the app data to where I left off as well.

For a day. I didn't get the errors, but my phone did reboot again. 5 times in one day. It wasn't hot at the time. I wasn't running a lot of apps.  A lot of the times it rebooted, I had just set the phone on a surface. 

I did the diagnostics test of the Ear Proximity Sensor after seeing references to that here on the forums. Mine vibrates before I ever cover it with my hand.  It does not stop vibrating when I take my hand away. I have found I can put pressure on the upper right-hand corner of my phone and stop the vibration (or get my phone back from black if it blacked out on a call).

I called Sony again and they said I'd have to send it in for repair. Oh, but my phone was not made in the US. It was made in the UK.  I bought it New on eBay.  How was I do know?

On Friday, I drove home with my Z5 on the seat beside me. Once I parked, I picked it up and it looked like a new phone, like I'd factory reset it.  It said "Welcome to Xperia" on the front. I didn't have many apps.  I restarted it manually and I got my apps and home screen back.  But yesterday, I found my playlists in Sony Music were all empty.  Not cool.  

I tried having my phone in Safe Mode for a few hours, but I couldn't even make a call or send a text so that wasn't feasible to continue.

Sony US doesn't deal with Sony phones made elsewhere.  So I contacted the UK Sony Mobile Support through chat.  I may have to send my phone there.  However, I got a message today saying they've transferred my case. I'm trying to get clarification on that.  

I really wish Sony would stand by its phones more.  It's a global marketplace these days, guys.  It's a Sony phone, Sony should take care of it wherever.

As it is, I just did a manual backup again. I still have access to the images my tablet took on Google Photos. I'm going to do a Factory Data Reset on my phone. I bought this phone in May. I hate to think it's going to become unusable.

2 REPLIES 2
Gabinka
Visitor

Well, it had seemed to be better after the factory reset.  But when I got home and set my phone on my desk, it rebooted.  Screwed up an app I was in. (The Walk by Six to Start.  I was about 1/2 way through an episode and now I'm back at the start with at least 85 minutes to walk to get to the end of that episode.)  It's not like I get a warning to close the app before it reboots. It just suddenly reboots.  Very annoying.

I haven't had any black calls.  It was intermittant before so I don't that it's resolved.  I haven't noticed the very high heat either.  But that wasn't all the time either.

Gabinka
Visitor

I had to get up to get my dinner. I sat back down and sat my phone on my desk (on soft stuff on my desk) and yes, it rebooted AGAIN!