Join now - be part of our community!

Small apps on 7.1.1 Z5c

Uakari
Visitor

Small apps on 7.1.1 Z5c

Are the small apps still available on the 7.1.1 update for the Z5 Compact? 

Also is there any chance of bringing back the small apps bar at the bottom of the screen when you press the context menu button? This disappeared with the 7.0 update and I was really annoyed as the small apps can't now be customised and are hidden inconveniently in an extra button press at the top left of the screen.

I understand that this is something to do with confirming to the Nougat style, but one of the main reasons I bought this phone over the now-cheaper X or Xc was for the small apps, especially quick access to the small calculator next to open pages, and for ease of access to them. So it was a big shock to me when the small apps bar disappeared in 7.0 - this was not publicised and made a major feature of the phone a lot less useful.

The stacked windows of recent apps and the split-screen mode are awkward, and none of those third-party free-form window/ multitasking apps work properly.

So please can someone confirm whether the small apps still exist in 7.1.1, and can Sony consider reinstating the small apps bar at the bottom of the screen when you press the context menu button? (This wouldn't take up too much space and you would still be able to see the annoying stack of recent apps that isn't useful.)

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Uakari

This has been asked before, this is on Google, small apps are no longer supported 

Uakari
Visitor

@uliwooly Well it's not up to Google, is it? Small Apps is an extra feature of the Sony UI so they can implement it how they choose.

It still exists in 7.0, just much more inconveniently. Question is does it still exist in 7.1.1, as this will decide whether I update to that or not. And also whether Sony will consider brining back the customisable small apps bar, which I'm sure they could if they wanted to.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Uakari

It is, Google disable them. 

You can use the search bar and you will find the official statement. 

Uakari
Visitor

But they haven't disabled them because they still exist on 7.0 for the Z5c. Just the UI is different and much more inconvenient. I mean who really cares about 'recent apps' or 'split-screen' taking up all that space? - at least small apps is a real multitasker.

At least there could be the option of having the Small Apps bar there when you press the context menu, for users who want it. The usefulness of the floating calculator and notes apps are obvious. I think Google just don't like it when a manufacturer betters their own UI.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Uakari

Make sure to send your feedback to Google regarding this. 

Uakari
Visitor

I don't know why but my posts are not posting in the correct threads. How would you go about contacting Google on this issue?

Statement from Sony is irrelevant to the Z5c and is about why Small Apps have been removed from X series:

'This is according to the specification and how Google has defined it.' 

Uakari
Visitor

Again you're directing me to threads and blog posts about the X series, which doesn't have small apps at all. These are not the questions I was asking and your moderation means I probably won't get an answer. 

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Uakari

This is a user based forum, you can contact Sony directly >>> Local support