Join now - be part of our community!

Small apps on 7.1.1 Z5c

Uakari
Visitor

Small apps on 7.1.1 Z5c

Are the small apps still available on the 7.1.1 update for the Z5 Compact? 

Also is there any chance of bringing back the small apps bar at the bottom of the screen when you press the context menu button? This disappeared with the 7.0 update and I was really annoyed as the small apps can't now be customised and are hidden inconveniently in an extra button press at the top left of the screen.

I understand that this is something to do with confirming to the Nougat style, but one of the main reasons I bought this phone over the now-cheaper X or Xc was for the small apps, especially quick access to the small calculator next to open pages, and for ease of access to them. So it was a big shock to me when the small apps bar disappeared in 7.0 - this was not publicised and made a major feature of the phone a lot less useful.

The stacked windows of recent apps and the split-screen mode are awkward, and none of those third-party free-form window/ multitasking apps work properly.

So please can someone confirm whether the small apps still exist in 7.1.1, and can Sony consider reinstating the small apps bar at the bottom of the screen when you press the context menu button? (This wouldn't take up too much space and you would still be able to see the annoying stack of recent apps that isn't useful.)

19 REPLIES 19
Uakari
Visitor

OK thanks for that, but maybe other users might have more chance of commenting if you didn't delete the wrong accidentally-repeated post of mine in Natavan's thread (was trying to support that user) and also allowed me to ask the questions in the main thread about 7.1.1, which you also deleted.

It comes across as overmoderating and unfriendly and it should be understood that new users might need to get used to the format of the forum - this doesn't make them spammers.

Martin20
Visitor

Yeah small apps still there in 7.1.1

But yeah can't change the way it displays 

Emir1
Hero

Hi Everyone!

I just had a look in an Xperia Z5 Compact running Android version 7.1.1 and Small apps are still available in the top left corner. Regarding the positioning of the menu, I will make sure to forward it internally on your behalf as user feedback! Slightly_smiling_Face

Uakari
Visitor

@Emir

Thank you for your by helpful reply and for passing this request on. Even if Sony don't want to add the Small Apps bar back by default, maybe it could be an selectable option in the settings for users that want it?  

The extra button presses (with a delay for the list of Small App to load) and the positioning in that top left hand corner make accessing the Small Apps much more inconvenient. Also you can't customise which ones you want to appear as a priority, like you could with the Small Apps bar. 

NeoBeum
Enthusiast

Do you want me to export the framework for you?

There's 3 apps for Small Apps

ps- if you read the other thread about 7.1.1 then you missed where I said

@NeoBeum wrote:

There's no major changes as expected, but the first start setup UI has had a revamp.

Uakari
Visitor

@NeoBeum 

Sorry I'm not very techy so I don't understand your post. What do you mean there's three apps for Small Apps? I'm using a non-rooted phone.

Locustbaboon
Visitor

@Emir wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I just had a look in an Xperia Z5 Compact running Android version 7.1.1 and Small apps are still available in the top left corner. Regarding the positioning of the menu, I will make sure to forward it internally on your behalf as user feedback! Slightly_smiling_Face

Thanks for feeding back, that would help me too - I agree with Uakari that users should at least have the option to have the small apps bar with the favorite small apps at the bottom of the screen when you press the context menu button, like it was in Marshmallow. (I don't like stretching to the top left and the extra button press to launch a small app.)

Maybe Marshmallow-style small app menu could be selected in Settings? Would Sony consider this for the next update?  I bought Z5 c over X, one of the reasons was small apps - calculator is so handy.

Emir1
Hero

I see what you mean @Locustbaboon and I thank you for the feedback, I will forward it!

As for if or when this may be implemented, I am sorry to say that I do not have any information regarding that. What I can do is forward your user feedback so that it is available to read internally, but I can't make any promises or predictions as to what changes may be made. Slightly_frowning_Face

SuperMan1986
Visitor

i still got small apps working on 7.1.1

Emir1
Hero

Hi @SuperMan1986, yes they are still available! Slightly_smiling_Face

What I think most users in this thread mean is that they would like to see the layout of the small apps change, and I am grateful they took the time to write down their feedback to me! Slightly_smiling_Face