Join now - be part of our community!

PTP mode (USB)

maffmace
Visitor

PTP mode (USB)

I backed up my data from an old Samsung SIII Mini phone using the Helium app which requires the phone USB to be in PTP mode. There's no way to access this mode in the settings of the Z1 Compact phone (all other Android phones have this to select alongside MTP). However Helium app can bring up this menu, it shows 2 check boxes, MTP and PTP, selecting PTP doesn't work though as within a second it removes the check and re-checks MTP on its own.

I don't want to lost all my game and app data which cannot be saved/transferred without PTP mode, please can anyone help with this? (not wanting to root or put a different ROM on the phone)

23 REPLIES 23
Impostor
Visitor

The same problem with my Xperia tipo. Helium requests switching to PTP, which automatically switches back to MTP. Waiting until Helium desktop recognizes the device without enabling PTP doesn't help. USB debugging on. I tried deinstalling and reinstalling Helium desktop and PC Companion, rebooted after each deinstallation AND reinstallation, no result...

ciarpame
Visitor

I had the same issue and I was able to solve it by installing the ADB drivers for my device (Tablet Z2) found here: http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/drivers/

To install the driver:

• unpack the driver zip file
  • in device manager you should find an entry with a yellow warning icon, representing the ADB driver not found for your device
  • update the driver for the above entry pointing to the directory where you unpacked the driver zip file

I also confirm that PTP mode is not necessary. PTP mode is suggested by Helium if MTP fails, sometime works (it helped me in the past with a non-Sony device) but ADB drivers are a prerequisite, they should always be installed.

AaronAu
Visitor

Well...actually it has been written on the Google play store page of Helium back up that, Note: Some Sony devices have issues with Helium. This includes the Xperia S and Xperia Z. Sony has *disabled* backup on these devices completely. So...this is the case, I have backed up from my HTC One M7, planning to sync everything to my new Xperia C3, when trying to active Helium on my C3, the same problem happens to everyone happened to me. If I connect via debugging mode, I can't switch to PTP, if you suggestion on reinstalling Helium on my computer actually, how many time exactly do I have to uninstall, reinstall, uninstall Helium simply because your developing team having problems following protocol? Gee...

metatechbe
Visitor

Hello,

I have an Xperia mini (ST15i).  The bottom part of the Helium Android main screen is missing, probably due to the 640*480 resolution.

I installed both Helium Backup desktop application and Helium Google Chrome Extension.

I managed to go past the "PTP" pop-up in Helium, after retrying several times to unplug/plug USB, click on "PTP", click on "OK" or "Cancel", go back etc.  At some point, it goes through, but I do not know exactly which sequence makes it work.

But afterwards, I did not manage to launch the backup : 

The option "backup on internal storage" fails with errors 

"An error occurred while performing your app backup. A log of the error has been sent to ClockworkMod.  Click backup to attempt to backup the remaining apps."

and also : 

"Please verify that your Desktop Backup Password is a blank password, then press back to return to Helium", although my password is blank.

I also tried the "PC download" option by connecting from my computer to http//myxperia:5000.  I can access the web page, select the applications to backup and click the "Backup" button, but it downloads a ZIP with a small JSON file of only 17 bytes.

All other attempts have failed.

I do not know whether it is due to my specific model or to some other factor.

profile.country.PT.title
joosalce
New

It Works! Thanks!

JuSchu
Visitor

I'm using a Xperia Z1 with Android 5.1.1 and it worked for me to choose "SD-Card only" instead of PTP or MTP. This way I could initiaize Helium with the desktop app.

But after that the popup in Helium didn't show up again, since there was no need for it. But it was the only way to change back to MTP.
Then I installed the App USB Driver for Android and in this app I could switch my phone back to MTP mode.

I don't know why, but I can't switch to PTP mode in this app, but after the initialization Helium worked fine in MTP mode.

lightborn
Visitor

Thx for your technique,

It's work on my Z5 premium.

I reinstall the adb driver: http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/drivers/

but Helium still need PTP mode

Then I reinstall the Helium on my phone

And it's done!

It's no need to use PTP!

Thx!

why-wont-this-w
Visitor

i have to send my phone in tomorrow morning (december 16), and i am desperatly trying to transfer over my app data. i have tried three other apps, and manually on my computer to no avail, as for the memorys to my apps did not follow. I am trying Helium as a last resort, but it wants me to turn the PTP on. I cannot even find the PTP or MTP switch on my phone, how do I find this?

Hectronik
Visitor

I tried your suggestion, but my pc stills waiting for detecting the mobile. Same result in my phone. Keeps waiting for enabling helium for desktop. I also got the same result using helium for google chrome. I have a Xperia Z1 C6906 with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.

profile.country.IT.title
Snesh88

I found the solution....After installing the Sony Drivers, open the mobile app then the Chrome desktop extension then you have to start the ADB Server:

Start -> All Programs -> ClockworkMod -> Start ADB Server

Hope it helps...