Join now - be part of our community!

PTP mode (USB)

maffmace
Visitor

PTP mode (USB)

I backed up my data from an old Samsung SIII Mini phone using the Helium app which requires the phone USB to be in PTP mode. There's no way to access this mode in the settings of the Z1 Compact phone (all other Android phones have this to select alongside MTP). However Helium app can bring up this menu, it shows 2 check boxes, MTP and PTP, selecting PTP doesn't work though as within a second it removes the check and re-checks MTP on its own.

I don't want to lost all my game and app data which cannot be saved/transferred without PTP mode, please can anyone help with this? (not wanting to root or put a different ROM on the phone)

23 REPLIES 23
Rickard
Master

I tried Helium here in a Z1 and a Z1 Compact and there's no need for PTP mode to enable Helium. Just enable USB-debugging in the phone and connect it. To access developer settings, tap the version number 7 times under Settings -> About phone and then to to Settings -> Developer options and enable USB debugging.

johli74
Visitor

Hi. I have enabled usb-debugging but Helium will not start without enabling PTP 😞

CheeBC
Visitor

to enable PTP mode 1st u must install Helium Desktop on your PC (download from HERE), run the application, only then u can enable the PTP mode on helium.

aragorn_6292
Visitor

I am having the exact same problem too

Tomrrrrrr
Visitor

I have this exact problem on my Xperia S. Helium won't connect without PTP, PTP mode can't be enabled because it switches right back to MTP. Do you have any more advice? I don't want to root my phone but i'd rather do that than lose my data.

Thiblasser
Visitor

Same problem for me on my Xperia Z3 Compact, I can't use Helium though... Any suggestion?

Rickard
Master

Just tested this here on a Z3 Compact but it works fine for me.

What i did was:

1. Enable USB debugging

2. Install the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

3. Connect phone to PC and wait for ADB drivers to be installed

4. Install PC application: http://clockworkmod.com/carbon

5. Start app in the phone

6. Start PC application

The app in the phone showed a popup asking me if i wanted to enable PTP but i didn't need to select anything.

aidanmack
Visitor

Hi,

Im developing for android and I was hoping I could use my new z3. In order to debug apps I need to be able to have ptp enabled for data transfer. Is that possible do you know?

Thanks

Aidan

Rickard
Master

I'm afraid i don't know of any way to set PTP-mode in the phone.