Join now - be part of our community!

No 4K option on YouTube App on Xperia Z5 Premium!

profile.country.GB.title
GreyFoxIndy
Explorer

No 4K option on YouTube App on Xperia Z5 Premium!

Hello everyone, I have got the Sony Xperia Z5 premium and I am trying to watch 4K videos in the YouTube app, I have enabled the filter to find 4K videos, which I know definitely run in 4K on a desktop computer, however I don't have the option to change the resolution to 4K within the YouTube app, it only goes up to 1080p. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

What?
sajkhan
Visitor

Snapdragon!!! Lol u chatting bubbles mate...do your research...the screen stays at 1080p until it comes across 4k content..youtube doesn't give the option for z5 premium to show 4k..but there is a workaround until Google sorts this problem out...you can download tubemate and with that you can download 4k content from youtube and watch it on your phone
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

That's what I'm doing, Looks amazing
profile.country.GB.title
GreyFoxIndy
Explorer

still no update on the youtube app, this is getting frustrating!

AzimB
Visitor

I don't think this is a YouTube app problem.

It seems as though because the phone only operates in 4K from the Album/Movies apps, YouTube doesn't recognize it as a 4K device.

However, other non-4K devices (such as the Galaxy Note and Iphone 6) allow the 4K resolution option to be selected via the YouTube app even though the phones don't display in 4K, such like the desktop version even if you don't have a 4K monitor.

Sony has to fix the device recognition coding/software to allow YouTube to display all resolutions options.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

No they have 1440p only as an option in the YouTube app because that is the native resolution reported by the app on that handset.
I've never seen an iPhone able to select above 1080p tbh.
And bottom line, it IS the app preventing the 4k option from showing as there are working 4k streaming apps available to Z5p, ultraflix to name one, and the whole app is indeed native 4k
deftoner
Visitor

Hello guys, I just want to point (I know the thread is old) that I bought the z5p for my wife, YT app still now showing 4k content BUT i have a z2 and it have the 4k option at the app. Same app version, same 6.0 android version.

So is not related to the hardware, is some parameter on the YT app. I'm guessing may be need to pait the app with a tv in order to show 4k option. (just guessing) 

its a shame that my z2 have the 4k option  but not z5p

cristipuc
Visitor

I also have a Z5P, my question is why is possibile to see 2K video on s7 on similar devices with 2K Display ?

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Because your phone runs "natively" in 1080p.
The s7 runs natively in 1440p
cristipuc
Visitor

Thank for clarification.

Will be great to see  4K option for youtube, i hope a feature like this will come on Z5P.