Join now - be part of our community!

No 4K option on YouTube App on Xperia Z5 Premium!

profile.country.GB.title
GreyFoxIndy
Explorer

No 4K option on YouTube App on Xperia Z5 Premium!

Hello everyone, I have got the Sony Xperia Z5 premium and I am trying to watch 4K videos in the YouTube app, I have enabled the filter to find 4K videos, which I know definitely run in 4K on a desktop computer, however I don't have the option to change the resolution to 4K within the YouTube app, it only goes up to 1080p. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
33 REPLIES 33
sajkhan
Visitor

Just picked up this phone today...I thought I could go on YouTube and watch 4k content....it only gives option up to 1080p...I use to have a note 4 and when using youtube on that it always gave the option to 4k content... Can anyone advise? As so far can't find anything to watch on the 4k screen.... Thanks
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Same here, I'm also annoyed that the playstation video streaming is only SD.
sajkhan
Visitor

...I hope they fix this or else my phone will be going back...I've jumped from Samsung note 4 to this phone thinking I could watch 4k content....I understand it's limited but youtube supports it.. And I'm sure PlayStation video streaming should be at least HD..
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@sajkhan

That's a google restriction and/or other streaming services, it doesn't quite make sense why they restrict this. 

sajkhan
Visitor

@Uliwooly I've tried the app..the mobile version and also desktop which gives the option to pick 4k but then Google Chrome crashes...
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@sajkhan

I'm sorry to hear that, you should contact Google and Youtube devs regarding this limitation. 

sajkhan
Visitor

What u mean should contact youtube or Google?.. Other devices work fine like my note 4 would give the option to pick the 4k settings on you tube app and other Samsung like the 6 or 6 edge.....so it's a Sony issue...nothing to do with Google or you tube
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@sajkhan

It is NOT a Sony issue, it's a youtube issue, it has been asked before, it is up to the stream service, even Hulu, Google play videos limit the definition, again, this is NOT Sony but those websites/services. 

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert