Join now - be part of our community!

Messaging Not Working after Lollipop Update

Japiki
Visitor

Messaging Not Working after Lollipop Update

Just updated to Lollipop and as stated, I can't use my messaging app. It just sits there doing nothing and eventually gets an error message. I have tried clearing the app data on messaging as I found on another post. This didn't work. I also tried running it on safe mode but even there it won't work. I really need help with this.

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

That seems more like a network error, rather than a phone issue, but try this

repair your phone, once more with PCC (re-install the latest update)

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

Thommo
Genius

Performing a system repair using PC Companion - This will factory reset your phone and erase all data so best to backup before you begin

Switch off your phone and unplug from Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds)
Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process

If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP

Japiki
Visitor

I tried installing a 3rd party messaging app just to see if it could access anything. So that didn't work.

I'm backing up now. Will the repair take as long as it did to install in the first place?

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

If that doesn't work, get a brand new SIM card. 

Japiki
Visitor

Why would I need a new sim card? Would the lollipop update destroy it? Everything was working fine til i updated.

Japiki
Visitor

Ok. Before starting the updating process I checked one last time, but this time it worked. I've no idea what I did or how it got fixed but there it is. This is annoying and embarassing. One of the previous things mentioned seems to have worked for my but it took several restarts and about 30 mins of wait time in between for the fixes to kick in. Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

Anytime Slightly_smiling_Face 

zackmc
Visitor

Hey guys. I just updated my z2 to lollipop and now my messaging wont work at all... I was reading the above solutions but im confused exactly how to go about fixing them. Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
SophiaW
Enthusiast

Hi zackmc

Welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our  Discussion guidelines.

You could try clearing the data for the Messaging app by going into Settings > Apps > scroll across to All > scroll down to Messaging > tap Clear data after tapping Messaging - then test out the app to see if this helped. If it doesn't, try the Software Repair. 

Download the PC Companion software and install it on your PC.

The Software Repair will delete user data but you can back it up before doing the repair:

To back up your phone using PC Companion 
1. Go to Support  to install PC Companion on a Windows computer. 
2. When installed, start PC Companion on the computer. 
3. Connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable. 
4. Click Start under Backup & Restore. 
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Now you can run the software repair

1. Install and open PC Companion then select Support Zone.

2. Phone Software Update.

3. Start.

4. Repair Phone

5. Continue

6. Accept data removal

7. Next

8. Wait for prepare

9. Select Phone

10. Follow the connection steps