Join now - be part of our community!

Pls in software installation

Not applicable

Pls in software installation

I want to install third party software to my phone but it was not easy to use the android market. So, I was download the android software to my computer and then I want to transfer them to phone SD card. Where do I can put them and where can I find in phone. Pls give me to respone. The software extension is    .apk  . Is it right?  thanks a lot!

13 REPLIES 13
Jeff
Enthusiast

Hi,

You'll want to download a File Manager from the Android Market and then you can view the contents of your memory card to find those APK files and tap to install them.

You are on the right track!

suze
Leader

Jeff he doesn't have access to the Android Market on his phone. I suggested getjar.com but he doesn't know how to get an app from his pc on to his phone.

I have only been able to install an app (,apk) file from my pc because I have been able to install Astro and Linda from the market. Is there a way to get a file with a .apk extension on to the phone and run to install the package?

Jeff
Enthusiast

Ah, i took "not so easy to use" differently.

I believe you might have luck bluetoothing the APK file (for a file manager application) directly to the phone. It will save on the memory card, but you'll be able to install it directly from the notification pulldown bar. Then you can transfer via USB or SDCard and you can use the file manager application to install.

I just did it for http://www.lysesoft.com/products/andexplorer/ on my Mac, and it worked Slightly_smiling_Face

suze
Leader

Just tried bluetoothng the .apk file from the website mentioned and it went on my sd card but nothing in pull down notification? What am I doing wrong? Is it cos I've already got file managers on the phone? Or should I have used the zip file?

Jeff
Enthusiast

I used the APK file, and transferred to a new X10 (I didn't pair the devices first).

I already have and use ASTRO file manager on my phone.

Let's see what I can find.

EDIT: Turns out I was using some crazy software on my phone. I tried it on a regular retail unit and you are right suze, same thing as you.

I don't see any documentation about installing applications without the Market application, officially from us.

I'm sure someone can chime in with a way to get a file manager or Market substitute on the phone, but that's not a conversation that I can have Slightly_smiling_Face

Not applicable

Thank everybody, I can't use the android market. So, I copy the .apk softwares combines with new folder and copy to SD card. And then I take out the USB and I search in phone but I dun see any software. Slightly_frowning_Face

Not applicable

Thank you everybody! I got it coz I can use getjar in my phone but can't android market. Xo happy!

suze
Leader

Hello there

So can you confirm that you were able to install apps from getjar.com using the phones browser rather than PC and USB cable, cos when I went to bed that seemed to be the point where it was all falling down!?

This is really important information for lots of your fellow users who don't have access and for me to be able to give clear instructions for a work around would be great, so a step by step of what you did would be perfect.

Many thanks.

Not applicable

Hello guy, I have to go the wi-fi zone firstly and I search the www.getjar.com in mobile web browser. At the bottom of the page, see the " Getjar on Your Phone". Click the this button and you will see the file manager software that can be download to the phone and then you can easily to install. So, next appication you can easily to search in this file manager and easily to install. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!:smileywink: