Join now - be part of our community!

Can a Bravia TV play WMA files?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
vstrad
Visitor

Can a Bravia TV play WMA files?

I am on the point of buying a Bravia KDL 37EX503 TV and have been researching its capabilities. The DLNA support seems strong but the manual says it will only play MP3 audio files and nothing else. I wish to stream my audio library from a NAS device to the TV and almost all my music is in WMA format. If the TV cannot play WMA files then buying one could be an expensive mistake.

Is it really true that the Bravia TVs can only play MP3s?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

If you NAS can transcode on the fly via DLNA then it would be fine, but natively it only plays mp3. To be honest there isn' a huge amount of demand for WMA flles as so few places( if any??) retail music in that format and iTunes doesn't rip to WMA by default AFAIK.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

If you NAS can transcode on the fly via DLNA then it would be fine, but natively it only plays mp3. To be honest there isn' a huge amount of demand for WMA flles as so few places( if any??) retail music in that format and iTunes doesn't rip to WMA by default AFAIK.

Thanks

vstrad
Visitor

Many thanks for your reply. It is as I feared. There might not be a huge demand for WMA files in retail but as I chose (bad decision?) to rip all my CDs to WMA it matters to me!

Catmambo
Contributor

no reasaon to forgo an otherwise fantastic TV - http://www.poikosoft.com/ CD-DA extractor can convert them to mp3 and I think still keep the metadata intact. Free trial available.

cheers

vstrad
Visitor

Good advice.

Many thanks.