Join now - be part of our community!

NWZ-A15 best way to connect to SRS-X9 speaker

profile.country.GB.title
iaroger8024
New

NWZ-A15 best way to connect to SRS-X9 speaker

I want to play my NWZ-A15 Walkman through my SRS-X9 speaker. I usually use the headphone jack via a cable. However, I often hear background interference if I turn the speaker volume up.

I don't get this when streaming music via the wireless network so it must be the wired connection.

Tried many different jack leads (Good quality ones too).

I'm trying to get the best sound possible so I prefer not to use the Bluetooth method (Saves battery life too) and my SRS-X9 speaker doesn't support LDAC unfortunately. Doesn't seem to be an upgrade patch for this as the SRS-X99 does (which was released just after I bought my X9) Bad timing by me.

What is the best way to connect the Walkman player to the speaker. I cannot seem to find a way to connect via the USB inputs which I guess would give the best sound. Is there a different USB cable I need? (USB-A, USB-B)?

I've tried routing the jack connection through a Fiio headphone amp which gives a nice warm sound but doesn't always stop the interference.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

You have 2 ways:

Digital, you need an extra cable "WMC-NWH10" that allows you to output digital signal out from the WM port...  so you can use that USB->USB type B cable with SRS-X9. Only issue, it's only available in Japan so you have to import it.

Analog, 2 solutions, using a walkman dock (discontinued in Europe, Ebay is your only chance) that has a stable line out or to buy a Walkman Line out cable, discontinued from Sony but you can buy one from Fiio (amazon)

profile.country.GB.title
iaroger8024
New

Thank you for the excellent information. Some good ideas to investigate.

The Digital option would be nice. I'll check out the cable cost from Japan.

The Fiio is a cheaper option and might work very well. I've also got a Fiio headphone portable amp which I use too.

I'm sure one of these options will suit me.

Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

Here's what the set up looks like with the NWH-10 cable

X9.jpg

An other better option is to buy the (japan only) HR docking station for a nicer set up (BCR-NWH10):

profile.country.GB.title
iaroger8024
New

Thanks for the update.

I see what you mean about the adapter, it's a little chunky as a solution. If it improves the sound I can live with that.

This would also allow me to connect to the car with better quality too.

However, I do like the look of the docking station. It looks like a much better option for the home. I didn't know this existed. Can't understand why it's not available in the UK. Starnge.

The video was great as the pictures don't do it justice.

I assume it will work with my MWZ-A15 if I use the correct spacers as shown in your video.

It looks like I'm gonna be spending some cash very soon.

Thanks for your posts. They've been very useful 🙂

dakeega57
Explorer

A little bit off topic but have you found mixed results with your Sony WMC-NWH10 adapter? I got one shipped from Japan and have found that it works with some DACs but not others,

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor