Join now - be part of our community!

Connect SONY NWZ-A15 to USB DAC with NWH-10 cable

szakalj
Explorer

Connect SONY NWZ-A15 to USB DAC with NWH-10 cable

Hi! I just bought the cable WMC-NWH-10 to my sony NWZ-A15 walkman. Unfortunately, when I connected it to my ONKYO DAC-HA200 USB DAC with this cable and a micro USB USB cable (as shown on the instructions) there is no music coming from the DAC. The DAC blinks, and the SONY confirms there is an output device (volume and audio can not be adjusted due to output device - a screen confirms), but no music is heard. There is a hissing sound when I turn the volume way up, which starts and stops with play and stop, but music plays not.

Please if you ahve any experience, let me know how this is going to work. If not working I need to send back the cable to JAPAN.

THX!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

NWH-10 compatibility with DAC depends of the brand/devices.

once connected, there is a USB negotiation protocol between the DAC and the Walkman and your DAC probably request some power the walkman can't deliver. All Sony DAC don't need that extra power to make the digital connection to work but some other brands will need that extra power.

If you have a powered USB HUB (to outlet), use it between the USB cable & DAC and it should work. If not, you better return it and buy the docking station BCR-NWH10 that will work with all DAC

szakalj
Explorer

Thank you!

I will try this tomorrow..

The ONKYO DAC has an internal battery to run, but the protocols might still request battery power, you are right.

If not resolved I'm not sure what to do, the cradle is 10times more expensive than the cable.. 😞

Will keep you updated,

Janos

szakalj
Explorer

Hi!

I tried with the powered usb hub. Connected the a15 with the nwh-10 cable and  a mini usb - usb "a" cable to the main port of the hub. And connected the dac to one usb "a" slot. Unfortunately this way the A15 did not recognise the dac (volume could be adjusted as if nothing were connected at the wm-port.) And there was no jusic output again on the onkyo.

I will try to reverse the connection: connect dac to the main port and the A15 to one of the hub slots but will need to find some extra  cables (usb a - usb a).

Any other idea with the cable? Will also try to connect it to another usb dac in a shop.

Thx a lot!

markh_75
Explorer

Not sure if this is much help; i bought a Fiio A1 headphone amp and its connected by a 3.5mm plug from the headphone socket to the input of the Amp, and the headphones plugged into the Amp output with the same kind of plug and wire.Only time i use a micro USB is to charge either the MP3 or the amp. Bearing in mind that my amp is a portable one, and not a dock type.

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

This way, you just amp the analog signal. For better result you should use the WMport line out by the way. Thanks for your help 😃 but in this case @szakalj wanna by pass the internal signal conversion :wink:

szakalj
Explorer

Exactly. The D/A works well with Android phones, but not yet with the NWZ-A15.