Join now - be part of our community!

windvd bd (AR31S) blu ray disc wont run

jimmylad
Visitor

windvd bd (AR31S) blu ray disc wont run

had a ar31s for a couple of weeks & the intervideo bd windvd wont play my blu ray discs. When I put a disc in you can here it spinning & the windvd program opens but then the disc stops spinning & nothing happens. no error codes to help me either. It used to play them fine.

when I try to run the latest vaio update for windvd it gets so far & then says it cant update my version of windvd yet it is the one on the vaio website.

bit peed off as I have 3 films to watch...............

Jim

23 REPLIES 23
jimmylad
Visitor

Unfortunately you can't reinstall WinDVD BD from as an individual program from your Recovery Partition - you have to do a Full Recovery of your C:\ drive to reinstall it.

Is this a viable option? It may be the answer if you have not installed lots of programs. Return your Vaio to its factory settings by using the Vaio Recovery Utility and re-apply the updates and reload your extra software.

It's beginning to look like the only way forward but you may like to speak to Sony Support on Monday to see if they have any ideas.

:thinking:

did a recovery last night & all was well. Film played no probs but just turned on today to watch a film on my projector & the same promblem has reapeared!! Nothing has changed overnight apart from switching on & off.

why can't things just work out of the box ??

sharkfin
Visitor

Hi

I have the same problem and think it may be related to the AACS keys for Intervideo being revoked. Normal DVDs are fine. Yet another example of copy protection making life difficult for honest customers. Very frustrating! I have spent hours trying to get this to work.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/07/1417253&from=rss

Let me know if you have any joy with support.

Thanks

Finlay

jimmylad
Visitor

Hi

I have the same problem and think it may be related to the AACS keys for Intervideo being revoked. Normal DVDs are fine. Yet another example of copy protection making life difficult for honest customers. Very frustrating! I have spent hours trying to get this to work.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/07/1417253&from=rss

Let me know if you have any joy with support.

Thanks

Finlay

I gave up & bought powerdvd ultra for £65.......... worked first time !!!!
It's quite a common problem from what ive read but no one seems to have any answers yet

lee1973
Visitor

:slight_smile: Hello , I am also having same problem,after updating everything, still no playback!!!! I may go with the powerdvd option? Not what i expect from a £2k machine? I will also be contacting Sony support,as i have had NO feedback from the e-support!!!!

Lee

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

OK Everyone - I have reported this to Sony Support and they will investigate.

It will help if you can post here what you have tried and what was the last thing you did (for example Microsoft Update or Vaio Update) before the problem happened.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Anyone tried a system restore to a point where it worked?
I know it's not a full blown solution, but it will allow you to enjoy your BDs

sharkfin
Visitor

Yes I tried a system restore point, as I thought that would do the job but no joy. Hence the reason why I thought it may be related to the keys being revoked.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

For Sony Support's benefit can you post exactly which version of WinDVD BD you are using and which BD Movies you have tried and don't work.

Jimmylad, did you reinstall all the updates after your Recovery or not?

sharkfin
Visitor

HI

From the info tab

Windows VISTA
Version:
8.0 DXVA B08.123
Navigation:
Info not available
Video:
Info not available
Audio:
Info not available
CPU:
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz
Family:6 Model:15 Stepping:6
Standard Feature: 0xbfebfbff
Hyper-Threading: Not supported, Not enabled
Instruction support:
Intel MMX: Enabled
Intel SSE: Enabled
Intel SSE2: Enabled
Intel SSE3: Enabled
AMD 3DNow!: Not enabled
AMD Enh 3DNow!: Not enabled
AMD 3DNow! Pro: Not enabled
Total Memory:
2.00 GB
Computer:
Notebook

I was playing Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest when I hit pause half way through. On trying to resume the disc just spins and nothing happens. The same behaviour is experienced with all Blu Ray discs. DVDs play fine.

Thanks!

Finlay

jimmylad
Visitor

For Sony Support's benefit can you post exactly which version of WinDVD BD you are using and which BD Movies you have tried and don't work.

Jimmylad, did you reinstall all the updates after your Recovery or not?

yes. I did a recovery,tried a disc & was ok, then I did the updates, tried a disc & then ok so then I switched off, went to bed. Booted up the next day & the same problem started again. TBH i got a bit fed up & downloaded powerdvd to get me by for now......... not ideal but I had to do something quick as the discs were rentals.

Jim

I'm also on AVFORUMS & there are quite a few there with the same problem ( in dvd section under bluray playeres) they went the powerdvd route so i followed them