Join now - be part of our community!

What can I uninstall??

JonnyThunder
Visitor

What can I uninstall??

Hello again,

OK - so i've got the Vaio VGN-AR51E. I've restored my disks and removed the majority of software on the PC, but there are a huge number of things left which i'd also like to remove. Here's the stuff I want to keep first....

Magic-I Visual Effects
ALL buttion functionality

Is there a definitive list which highlights what all of the installed software actually does? My Add/Remove list contains all of the following (minus stuff I want to keep)...

• AppMon Utility
    • Browser Address Error Redirector
    • DSD Direct
    • DSD Direct Player
    • DSD Playback Plug-in
    • OpenMG Limited Patch 4.7-07-15-19-01
    • OpenMG Secure Module 4.7.00
    • Settings Utility Series
    • Sony Video Shared Library
    • VAIO Content Folder Settings
    • VAIO Content Importer / VAIO Content Exporter
    • VAIO Content Metadata Intelligent Analyzing Manager
    • VAIO Content Metadata Manager Settings
    • VAIO Content Metadata XML Interface Library
    • VAIO Control Center
    • VAIO Data Restore Tool
    • VAIO Entertainment Platform
    • VAIO Event Service
    • VAIO Launcher
    • VAIO Media 6.0
    • VAIO Media AC3 Decoder 1.0
    • VAIO Media Content Collection 6.0
    • VAIO Media Integrated Server 6.1
    • VAIO Media Redistribution 6.0
    • VAIO Media Registration Tool 6.0
    • VAIO MusicBox
    • VAIO Power Management
    • VAIO Update 3

Now, is there documentation anywhere which lists what each of those installations does? I'd like this laptop to be empty of all this stuff. I don't understand why Sony install things like "Power Management". The OS will manage power without additional tools.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please. Am desperate to rid this poor laptop of it's bloatware issues!

Many thanks all,
JT

14 REPLIES 14
helloimgeoff1
Visitor

Thanks for that, it was VAIO Event Service, got them all working again now :grin: ^^

JonnyThunder
Visitor

I'm back from working away, so i'm gonna prepare some instructions to follow on wiping the laptop and starting from scratch (removing all the crap). Will take a couple of days. I'll post it up when i'm done.

Trust me though, removing the junk makes a huge difference. I'd also suggest removing System Restore because that speeded things up for me a great deal too. On a laptop, I tend not to install anything which needs device drivers anyway - so the need for system restore is minimal in my case.

tekp
Visitor

Thanks for this, I was too scared to uninstall half the VAIO stuff on my laptop before I read this :tongue:

I very much look forward to your guide :slight_smile: *watches this topic* will it cover software other than the VAIO stuff?

Edit: also, I have 'VAIO Camera Capture Utility' and 'VAIO Camera Utility' :S does anyone know the difference?

profile.country.en_GB.title
ladelne
Visitor

Hi all, I'm having the same problem + the laptop sis throwing a few error messages. Therefore, I'm looking on how to clean up my laptop without destroying it! Any luck with the list of programs to be safely uninstalled?     

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ladeine,

Rather than messing with uninstalling various programs that can leave unwanted files and registry entries I would suggest that you back up all your personal data and then restore to factory settings. If you need help with this let us know your model number.
Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat