Join now - be part of our community!

Webcam not working on brand new laptop - VPCSE1C5E

profile.country.en_GB.title
StryderVaio
Visitor

Webcam not working on brand new laptop - VPCSE1C5E

Hi all,

I have a brand new laptop and everytime I try and activate the webcam nothing shows up and when I use ArcSoft compansion I get 'webcam not found. the webcam is either being used by another application or not connected'
I have seen that a lot of people have experienced this issue with other laptops and found a solution - I on the other hand cant seem to fix it, there are no drivers listed for my model with regard to the webcam.
my vaio model is : VPCSE1C5E
I have checked in device manger and under Imaging devices a 'UVC Device' is listed which I imagine is the webcam since it cannot be anything else!
I have tried to identify the manufacturer to try and update it manually but have not been successful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, since its not what you would expect with a new laptop!
Hopefully a solution can be found since I dont fancy doing a recovery only to find the problem persists, howwever I guess that will be the next step following no obvious solitions.
Many thanks!!
8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi StryderVaio,

The ‘UVC device’ showing in Device Manager is almost certainly the camera and, as far as I am aware, this uses native Windows drivers.

Is the device (under properties) reported as working correctly and are there any other devices listed in Device Manager that are either unknown or that have a warning symbol?

You could try removing the device (from within Device Manager) and then shut down. Then disconnect the AC adaptor, remove the battery and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Re-connect AC adaptor and battery, reboot and let Windows re-install the driver.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
StryderVaio
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I followed your suggestion but unfortunately it didnt help :slight_frown:

It does list the UVC device as working correctly, I checked the drivers that were in use and one is listed as 'ArcSoftKsUFilter.sys'

I uninstalled the device and then manually removed this file from my system32 folder (backing it up) and then rebooted/battery out etc.. windows then tried to install the drivers when it rebooted and failed. This resulted in the UVC device having a warning triangle. I placed the ArcSoftKsUfilter.sys back in the System32 folder and the warning triangle vanished....however the camera still does not work.

Knowing that I have deleted/unistalled a lot of the bundled software I though that perhaps I might have deleted something necessary for the camera to function correctly, so I performed a full system restore via Vaio Care.

I then tried the camera and it was not working which all the same details, I tried unistalling and battery out/power button then reboot but it remains the same. Very frustrating!!!!

I have attached some images detailing the current situation.

Any further help or suggestions would be great!!

I may pop to a sony store and check if the camera is working on there systems and see if I can get the driver or something...

thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi StryderVaio,

If a reset to factory defaults, with no third party software installed, has failed to resolve the problem then you should return the machine to the retailer for a refund or replacement or call Sony Support for a repair. The camera should work ‘out of the box’ and a factory reset returns the machine to that default.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
StryderVaio
Visitor

That's what I expected as well...

Cool I will have a chat with Sony Support, thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome StryderVaio please let us know the outcome.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
StryderVaio
Visitor

Hi just a quick update,

I ended up contacting Sony Support - they collected my laptop and returned it within 3 days having replaced the webcam and keyboard (I was also having some keyboard issues)

Now all good :slight_smile:

Many thanks for all the help!

andpix
Visitor

This resulted in the UVC device having a warning triangle. I placed the  ArcSoftKsUfilter.sys back in the System32 folder and the warning  triangle vanished....however the camera still does not work. http://www.bosin.info/g.gif

klauzser
Visitor

You may also try to run a device check just to make sure that everything is running normal.