Join now - be part of our community!

VPCS13V9E/B pauses after boot

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mike_B_1
Visitor

VPCS13V9E/B pauses after boot

Hi all,

My trusty laptop has recently started freezing, or more accurately pausing for a minute or two, usually shortly after booting but also at random points afterwards (every few minutes).   I can be doing anything, i.e. it doesn't seem to be related to any one application.   When it does, the hard drive light stays on solidly as if there was frantic disk activity, but I don't hear any of the usual quiet scratching noise of a hard drive working.

I have looked in the Event Viewer but there isn't anything that looks relevant in there.   When I run Performance Monitor, the disk activity is running at 100% and the queue length is beyond 50.   CPU and Memory are both low.

I have run MalwareBytes which found nothing, and I use AVG antivirus which also is reporting no problems.  I will try removing it, but I am not hopeful...    I haven't loaded any new software on recently either, though there is an absolute ton of stuff installed as I work as a consultant on big enterprise systems for several companies.  For that reason, I am not at all keen to blow it all away on the off-chance that a full reinstall 'might help'.

Anyone have any ideas before I go through the pain of calling Support and probably losing my machine for a week or two while they play with it?   It's a VPCS13V9E model, about a year old, running Win7 Pro 64 bit.

cheers,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately the problem could be caused by a number of things from a corrupt driver to missing links in the registry and hunting this down will not be easy.

Support will undoubtedly ask you to return the machine to factory settings in order to rule out a third party application as the cause.

As a matter of interest does the same problem occur if you boot in safe mode?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately the problem could be caused by a number of things from a corrupt driver to missing links in the registry and hunting this down will not be easy.

Support will undoubtedly ask you to return the machine to factory settings in order to rule out a third party application as the cause.

As a matter of interest does the same problem occur if you boot in safe mode?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
fortonsteve
Visitor

Hi Mike...............I can't belive it, so has mine! Only ten months old and it's a pain as it can do it 10 times a day, also my key back light stoped working at the same time.

I'm really disappointed as it is only 10 months old and I thought I would buy the best.

Egypt [Viao Support] have not been to helpful, each time I ring I get little sympathy, but generally can only offer help by telling me to restoring it to the factory settings and loose everyerything  to see if that helps. The last person said they won't touch the machine untill I do that.

I've just walked in from Hong Kong and my first job tomorrow is to get in touch with ZuuMedia computer support, they are exceptional and take over the computer, but whether they can fix it I'll see. Very dissapointed in the 2 year guarentee, but know I know you have the same problem, it may not be somthing I've done.

Let me know how you get on, how's your backlight?

Steve

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Removed email address as personal information is not allowed to be shared on the forums