Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio laptop to Bravia TV with HDMI cable - no picture - why?

profile.country.en_GB.title
newjaneellen
Visitor

Vaio laptop to Bravia TV with HDMI cable - no picture - why?

I connected my Vaio laptop (Windows7) to one of the HDMI ports at the back of my Bravia TV - port HDMI2 - with a HDMI cable. I set up the screen resoution as described in the Sony Vaio manual (via RH mouse on desktop) and set the TV to external input HDMI2 - and no picture appeared on the TV.

Help!!

Message was edited by: newjaneellen

Message was edited by: newjaneellen

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi newjaneellen.

You don't say which Vaio model you have but have you tried switching the Vaio to an external output by pressing Fn+F7?

What HDMI cable do you have and does it support the selected resolution?

:thinking:

tidaltides
Visitor

Once you connected your laptop to your Bravia using your HDMI cable, be sure to set it up via your GPU Cpanel for your laptop screen to show up to your TV.

newjaneellen
Visitor

Hi Biencogo - wow, what a quick response!

My Vaio is a laptop model no. VPCEA 3M1E.

The HDMI cable just says 'high speed HDMI cable length 2 metres' on the box so I haven't a clue about what resolution it supports. It looks exactly like the HDMI cable which connects our digital video recorder to the TV - I know that's a non-tech observation, but it's all I have to go on!

Does any of that cast more light on the subject?

newjaneellen
Visitor

Hi tidaltides - another quick response - thanks!

The GPU Cpanel is I think what I get when I RH click on desktop and select graphics properties? I was a bit worried about this, as it is Intel (not nVidia) and against Monitor/TV settings it says 'Monitor.TV settings are not supported'. Does this mean I'm totally unable to use a TV with this laptop?

I checked Intel site for driver info and got:

Graphics driver           Intel® HD Graphics
Current Driver Installed     8.15.10.2182
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

What would you recommend, please?