Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Update inconsistent with SONY support website

takrzem

VAIO Update inconsistent with SONY support website

Minor but rather annoying observation: since late January there are two updates reported by VAIO Update that stubbornly do not want to go away. Problem is that there are more up-to-date drivers @ SONY support that I have deployed in the meantime - but this does not seem to make much difference.

Details: SVF15A1C5E, upgraded to Win8.1. Updates in question are Realtek Audio Driver (05 Dec 2013 - there have been at least two newer releases since then!) & NVIDIA Graphics Driver (16 Oct 2013! - so actually even pre Win 8.1 release!).

SONY please fix and start being consistent with itself if possible please...

10 REPLIES 10
takrzem

Interestingly, it would appear that problem has been somehow addressed as VAIO Update doesn't report any new updates as of now.

However (and that just to indicate that problem has been bodged rather than fixed) disappeared from there also outstanding Realtek audio driver update released only week ago and which - as I pointed out in separate thread - is no good as it's lacking bass and which I had to roll back to the previous version.

Funnily enough this driver (or similar newer one) is correctly shown back by Windows Update as an optional update. And also still lives on SONY update site. Oh dear...

So thanks for the efforts but I really think it can be patched nicer.

takrzem

More follow up - situation is still not correct I'm afraid.

I have just purchased VAIO Pro 13 (SVP1322C5E) - one of the last models I should think as they can no longer be purchased on SONY Store Online!

Vaio Update did not and does not show any updates even though there were quite a few here since it was built (mid March):

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVP1322C5E/updates

takrzem

More fun! Outdated nVidia driver from October for my original machine (SVF15A1C5ER) just appeared back in Vaio Update. Excellent!

Also, after I deployed newest Intel graphics driver on both machines (semi-manually, these drivers are downloaded from Intel website directly) VAIO Update on the latter (SVP1322C5E) suddenly claims that there's update available.

Has anyone there at SONY have any clue what's going on?

In either case I will keep this thread updated as I find this situation really amusing.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@takrzem wrote:

More follow up - situation is still not correct I'm afraid.

I have just purchased VAIO Pro 13 (SVP1322C5E) - one of the last models I should think as they can no longer be purchased on SONY Store Online!

Vaio Update did not and does not show any updates even though there were quite a few here since it was built (mid March):

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVP1322C5E/updates

Looks like there are udates listed on the support site or am I missing something.

updates.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@takrzem wrote:

More fun! Outdated nVidia driver from October for my original machine (SVF15A1C5ER) just appeared back in Vaio Update. Excellent!

Also, after I deployed newest Intel graphics driver on both machines (semi-manually, these drivers are downloaded from Intel website directly) VAIO Update on the latter (SVP1322C5E) suddenly claims that there's update available.

Has anyone there at SONY have any clue what's going on?

In either case I will keep this thread updated as I find this situation really amusing.

It is a possibility that installing the drivers direct form the Intel site prompted Vaio Update to notify your that there was an update available from Sony.

Do you have problems with the day to day running of your vaio or is it just the conflicting updates that is troubling you?

takrzem

Looks like there are udates listed on the support site or am I missing something

Yes, you do: VAIO Update is not in line with the above at all - as per the subject of this thread. And that is the proven case for two separate machines.

Do you have problems with the day to day running of your vaio or is it just the conflicting updates that is troubling you?

If you drove a car that displayed inconsistent messages on the dashboard randomly (for instance: bonnet open?) and perfect otherwise, that would surely be something making you slightly mad?

As an oblivious user I do not have to know about support web site, I have been provided with piece of software that does this for me. Which apparently does not and I merely point this out and expect to be resolved.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@takrzem wrote:

Looks like there are udates listed on the support site or am I missing something

Yes, you do: VAIO Update is not in line with the above at all - as per the subject of this thread. And that is the proven case for two separate machines.

If you drove a car that displayed inconsistent messages on the dashboard randomly (for instance: bonnet open?) and perfect otherwise, that would surely be something making you slightly mad?

As an oblivious user I do not have to know about support web site, I have been provided with piece of software that does this for me. Which apparently does not and I merely point this out and expect to be resolved.

Thanks for your reply.

You are aware that this is a user self help forum so you should not expect a reply from Sony but as you expect your problem to be resolved then it is probably best you contact the Sony support team.

To find the contact details for the Sony support team click on the Support link at the top of this page.

takrzem

My experience to date proves that SONY Support Team does monitor this forum and gets in touch with users occasionally.

Also, in general, forum being a user-driven medium is a good opportunity to share observations with others, of either positive or negative nature.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Thanks again for your reply.

You may well be correct but my experince would suggest you would be better to contact the Sony support team yourself rather then waiting for someone official to get in touch otherwise could be waiting a while but the choice is yours.:smileyhappy:

I agree user should be able to post both positive and negative and I would hope that if I had a problem someone would post in my thread and try and help me.