Join now - be part of our community!

Special Function Keys- 'Not Functioning!'

ChuckD
Visitor

Special Function Keys- 'Not Functioning!'

I have a VGN S4XP Notebook. Recently, the special function key that control the screen brightness(Fn+F5 or 6), volume (Fn+F3 or F4)and the external display(Fn+F7) facility no longer function!! Interestingly the scroll lock facility does appear to work so I guess the Fn key itself operates. Any suggestions as to what the possible cause is and any solution?

Thanks for your help
:slight_frown:

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ChuckD and welcome.

The usual resolution for this problem is to re-install some Sony Utilities.

This varies according to model but I believe that your model comes with Sony Utilities DLL. If this is the case then only one utility needs to be re-installed and you can download this as part of the Utility Package from Support.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-S4XP_B

If this link fails to work then click the Support tab at the top of this page, log in with your model number and click Downloads -> Originally Installed. You will find ‘Original Utilities Package’ which is a zip file.

Extract this and open Utils Installer 1 – run Setup.exe and re-boot.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue then hopefully someone with your model may be able to help further...

EDIT: You may also need to install Sony Shared Library - Utils Installer 2

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat