Join now - be part of our community!

Slow wireless connection

b8421104
Visitor

Slow wireless connection

I'm experiencing very slow wireless data transfer rates between my Vaio FS285M and Netgear DG834G router. The signal strength is consistently excellent, yet the speed ranges between 1Mbps and 54Mbps. Having investigated the problem within these forums, I thought i had found the solution by changing the power management setting from default to highest. However, this has not solved my problem. Can anybody please offer advice on how i may improve this very frustrating problem?

3 REPLIES 3
jay_gob
Visitor

I'm experiencing very slow wireless data transfer rates between my Vaio FS285M and Netgear DG834G router.  The signal strength is consistently excellent, yet the speed ranges between 1Mbps and 54Mbps.  Having investigated the problem within these forums, I thought i had found the solution by changing the power management setting from default to highest.  However, this has not solved my problem.  Can anybody please offer advice on how i may improve this very frustrating problem?

Hi b8421104 there are numerous factors that could affect your wireless performance:

- If using security try changing it from WPA to WEP for instance.
- Make sure there are no obstructions blocking your Netgear product. e.g large metal objects. Also check your antenna is screwed in firmly.
- Try changing the wireless channel you use as other wireless devices could be affecting it. (Do this using the '192.168.0.1' utility)
- Do a cold reboot of your router (Unplug it from the socket for at least 10 mins)

Like I said there are many factors affecting performance, I've toggled with mine and it never seems to drop below 24mbps

Hope this helps

b8421104
Visitor

Hi jay_gob! Many thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I have used your tips, and so far so good! My data rate consistently sits at 24 Mbps or more. So once again Thankyou for the top tips!:smileygrin:

jay_gob
Visitor

Hi jay_gob! Many thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I have used your tips, and so far so good! My data rate consistently sits at 24 Mbps or more. So once again Thankyou for the top tips!biggrin

Your welcome,

I always get a lot of good advice here on Club Vaio so I thought I'd try & give a bit back!

Take Care