Join now - be part of our community!

norton internet security

claracook
Visitor

norton internet security

anyone had difficulty subscribing to this company. i have a few days left before my security runs out. have tried to renew subscription but as yet have not been able to. any advice anyone?

16 REPLIES 16
cumbrianmale
Visitor

What are people's views of avast anti-virus?

Norton was the first thing deleted from my FE31H.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi cumbrianmale and welcome to Club Vaio.

I'm afraid Avast came joint bottom in Computer Shopper's review of 12 anti-virus products.

http://www.compshopper.co.uk/

Quote "It might be free, but until avast!'s detection abilities improve we'd rather pay for protection rather than compromise with this free package".

To see the review, Click on 'Labs' in the left hand column - then scroll down 'Earlier Labs' to April 06 and click on 'Anti-Virus Exposed.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thanks for the link Blencogo! Very interesting.

LOL Thalamus, It may have done....

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Agree . . . you can also get AVG Anti-spyware - previously ewido anti-spyware.  This is one of the best antispyware applications available.

Really? I've downloaded it and been pondering - yet no one answered me....

Sirnig
Visitor

Further to my above post, here's a shortened link http://urlb.us/g30 to the official Norton A-V Removal Tool, which Sony ought to include on their pre-installed program list.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Something to the ZoneAlarm Firewall,

I really can't recommend this software anymore.
May it's blocking inside and outside, but it's pointless and annoying to click away these always flashing popup warnings. Even if it's the most harmless software. And that with every change (update, upgrade).
Best excample is a PC novice who is clicking and clacking into ZoneAlarms Popups without to know what he is doing. Then he comes here and crying for help. Windows Update does not work, black screen on My Club VAIO, Windows Media Player does not show the name of track of my new CD.

And even if you do everything right anytime something does not work. Like the update of your Antivirus Software. The surprise is big if everything works again after uninstalling of ZoneAlarm.

So, all what I want to say is, this software gives a wrong feel of security. And if you don't know what you do then it could be more a risk to use ZoneAlarm than Windowsfirewall.

Do you really know what to allow and disallow? And do you really know what you are allow or disallow?

Just follow some simple rules. Don't install what you don't know, be careful with Filesharing (Kazaa is known as bad, BitTorrent seems to be more secure], don't click on every link, don't download everything what's looking interesting.

May this is not all, but to avoid something is better than to kill your nerves later with it.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

LOL at that last paragraph