Join now - be part of our community!

norton internet security

claracook
Visitor

norton internet security

anyone had difficulty subscribing to this company. i have a few days left before my security runs out. have tried to renew subscription but as yet have not been able to. any advice anyone?

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah don't bother, I know, sounds rude and all but seriously you're better off downloading AVG Free Edition (7.5) and using Zone Alarm Free Edition. They're more effective.

robpaxton
Explorer

Agree . . . you can also get AVG Anti-spyware - previously ewido anti-spyware. This is one of the best antispyware applications available.

Sirnig
Visitor

anyone had difficulty subscribing to this company.  i have a few days left before my security runs out.  have tried to renew subscription  but as yet have not been able to. any advice anyone?

Dump Norton as any self-respecting computer-savvy PC owner knows...it might work well in a networked office environment but it is a paternalistic resource-hog which is far too intrusive on a home PC.
I've tried Panda Titanium but dumped it too due to poor customer problem-solving support and a tortuous website for finding system patches to apply manually when they should have been automatic downloads.
I also don't like the new Microsoft Windows OneCare product which has just been made available to European customers...it is too paternalistic and not configurable enough...it might develop into something worthwhile but it is just too new at present.
I highly recommend Trend Internet Security Suite 14. I have used it for the past year and it just works and with minimal configuration needed. It never interferes (unlike Norton) with the instal of a new program and allows me to sync effortlessly with the notoriously edgy Activesync on my Pocket PC. Virus Signature updates are automatic and non-intrusive. A 3-month trial is offered and for around £40 p.a. up to 3 computers are covered. Unlike the free AVG offering the Trend product has a nice logical user interface. It has a fast scanning engine. As I say, highly recommended. Beware of some free (not AVG I believe) a-v products which do not offer real-time scanning on system files and emails.

robpaxton
Explorer

I can also recommend PC-cillin/Trend Internet Security if you want a paid for/fully supported security suite. It is reliable, lightweight, and has a very good detection rate. Their support is also good - not that you'll probably ever need it.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you want to pay for a full Internet Security Suite, have a look at the ten full suites tested HERE

I use ZoneAlarm ISS 6.5 simply because it has the best software firewall in the business.

The tip if you want to buy it is to get the older Version 6.0 from AMAZON for only £25 and you will be upgraded free to the more expensive Version 6.5 when you first go online. It's only £17 to renew the update service after the first year.

:wink:

EDIT: I see the PC-cillin product comes out well Rob!

:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

May one interject? LOL

A little birdie informed me that although not a suite, Agnitum Outpost Pro as your firewall combined with nod32 antivirus makes for a rather safe and fun time.

robpaxton
Explorer

Is anyone going to recommend Norton?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I recommend Norton....:smileygrin:

Should be removed from your system and replaced with less resource hogging security programs as listed earlier..

Jumpy did that birdie also mention Process Guard..:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is anyone going to recommend Norton?

Only this one ...............

:smileygrin: